Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, my 99 GT engine just blew a few days ago. Plus, my 3year 36k warranty has expired. Am I screwed or what? I'm going to call a guy at the ford dealer to see it I can do anything with the.

Anyway, this is a good excuse to rebuild the engine the right way, cause I plan on either putting a turbo charger or super charger on. Granted I wanted to wait a couple more years, but oh well.

Michael Tymensky , and/or TheGame, please let me know the best place and time to reach you guys. I want to start compiling a list of parts, future plans, and prices so I can start buying all the pieces to do a forged rebuild. I'm want to build it nice and strong so this crap never happens again.

Thanks,
Raul

my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

Not sure what happend yet really. As far as mods go, I have pulleys, k&n, 3.73 gears, tri-ax, jba headers, bassani x, and magnapacks. So nothing that can break the engine. I went drag racing only twice since I bought the car, but over a year ago, and I'm pretty good with my oil changes. Mobil1 5w30 synthetic. 95% of the time, I drive very relaxed, always shifting below 3000rpms.

As to what happend, I was on my way to work, getting on the gas pretty heavy in 4th gear, but my rpms stayed below 5000. I never hit the rev limiter or anything, and this was only for about 5 seconds in total. Then I heard a funny noise when I would hit the gas. Came to a stop and the car died. I towed it to a mustang performance shop that was down the road, and as soon as he heard it, he said the engine was blown. Something broke, knocking, or something. Sounds horrible. Checked the oil and there was metal in it. So, I'm going to tow it to the house, buy and engine hoist, engine stand, and start pulling it out. After I do some better diagnostics of couse.

Oh, and my experience taking out engines and rebuilding them. Zero. But I'm a quick learner and wanted to do this anyway. Oh well. I just downloaded the 99 manual from ranger.org too, so whoever posted it there, I can't thank you enough!!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ford will cover up to 2 major items after the warranty has expired. The key is a good relationship with the service writer. If you don't get the answer you like don't cause a scene and go talk to another dealer. LM dealers can fix it also. If nobody will step up start spinnin and kickin.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hey Herk,

You know who this is? Long time no see =) I was up at Jax last night and saw your car there and talked to the guys about it. They said something in the bottom end let loose. Just a guess...but you wouldn't be the first guy to break a Rod or have something go wrong with the wrist pin on the piston... but It's really hard to diagnose without having the motor apart.

Anyway.... I'm sorry to see your car having trouble and just wanted to offer my condolences. Hopefully you can take full advantage of whatever is wrong with it and build up a nice motor. Mine hasn't blown yet under boost....but I've been looking at some of the stuff for sale from http://www.dssracing.com and http://www.houstonperformance.com if you are looking for internals... dss has some kits and probe industries does...as well as modmax.

Keep us updated on what goes on. Jack said you were taking some autoshop classes. If so....talk to your professor and see if you could do the motor in your car as some sort of class project.

You'd save some major labor costs there and really learn a lot!

Good Luck!

SOHC
aka... [email protected]
99 Vortech GT
02 Subaru WRX

·
Registered
147 Posts
Herk and GTChico---how many miles were on your engines when they blew?

Herk--give Bobby at Sheehy Ford in Springfield a call. He owns 4 Mustangs, one of them a real 00 Cobra R. (He brought it to one of the NVMC meetings a few weeks ago. If you're a member, you'll remember him.) He's a good friend of Torry's at Excessive East, and he has hooked me up with stuff before. (He's extremely "mod" friendly.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have heard of a lot of the newer mustangs spinning rod bearings off and or throwing a rod.. not sure why this problem would be affecting the newer models

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
That sucks man. 99's have a high compression ratio too compared to the pre 99's. That may have had some contribution.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Umm..

CR on a 99 is 9.0:1...no different than previous 4.6's. I think they may have bumped it up slightly in -01 ..but am not positive.

Later,

SOHC

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would also like to know what caused the engine to blow up. I have about 51K miles on my motor with no problems so far. *knock on wood* I have heard of a couple of N/A engines blow up with very few mods... :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to my Saleen a few weeks back . Its cheaper to go back with a 302 Stroker and forged internals than to replace the factory bottom

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm with Keith, go to as many dealers as possible and ask very nicely for help. I worked at Ford dealerships for quite a while and a failure of an engine is something Ford doesn't let slide. I have performed many a warranty engine job on vehicles that were extremely abused and they were off on there warranty time and mileage. It doesn't sound like you abuse your car, you deserve to get this looked after.

·
Registered
243 Posts
thats awesome that you are going to rebuild it yourself. much more fun that way. do you have a backup car that you will be driving?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys, thanks for all the well wishes!!

Hey Matt, sup dude? I was thinking about rebuiling anyway, but not for a couple years. But I'm going to take the advice of Keith, scottbeer, and mustangMom, and see what the Ford dealers say first. To be honest, I hope they all deny me, because I really want to build a bad ass motor, but my practical side handles the checkbook, and I'm going to listen to that side first. Thanks for the URLs. I like Houston Performance and spoke with Steve and Sen Roy last year, but decided to wait until I "HAD" to rebuild it, or at least was almost paid off. That's why I started taking classes at NOVA, so I could do all this crap myself. We were planning on buying a new house next year and I was going to put in a lift and everything. Well it looks like I'll be starting in the garage in my townhouse. Oh, and the engine classes at NOVA don't start until the Fall semester. I plan to be done by then, depending on finances and how crazy I get. I tend to go overboard on stuff, so I'm already looking at doing SVO or Bullit intake, new transmission and 31 spline axles. BUT, we'll see what money looks like.

To answer a few questions:
I have 45k on the odometer. But with my 3.73 gears, it's probably only about 38k. I don't have a back up car, but fortunately for now, my fiance's friend works with her and lives nearby. Plus, I think in a couple weeks, I'll be able to borrow a car from someone in my family until I get my car back up and running. Plus I REALLY don't want another car payment until I buy a house.

Oh, I did consider the 351w, or 302 route, but nixxed it because I would never pass emissions here in Northern VA.

Anyway, thanks again guys and I'll keep you posted.

Matt, when I start turning wrenches, I'll let you know, in case you want to get some practice before you do yours. I'm confident I can do this myself. Everything except the detailed engine balancing, extrude honing, etc.

Peace

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard about that too, but only when some 99 cobra engines were tanking and the dealerships where trying to get out of it. To me, if you logically think about it, and it's torqued to proper specs, I don't see how it could mess up an engine. But what the heck do I know? Hey, it could be! If it is the case, I know what WON'T be going on the new engine!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The problem with the pullies involved the installer using the incorrect bolt(was too long) So you can torque it to spec all you want, and it wont do you any good:D Immediate damage involved hurting the threads in the crank, and an off balance motor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts