Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be pulling the motor out of my 99 cobra this week, i was just wondering if anyone has pulled theirs the old way through the top instead of dropping the k-member. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes you can pull them out like that with out dpoping the k member it is a little tricky with the trany still atatched but with the trany off it is very easy

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should i just move the tranny back a little, would that be easier, should i also take the radiator and the rest of the crap in front of the motor off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
just take the trany out other wise puttign the motor back in isn't gong to be fun. and as for the radiator you can leave it in but take the plastic part off and the fan can stay

·
Registered
31 Posts
blackgt76 ,

I pulled mine the old fashion way with the transmission attached.

The hardest part was finding a place to hook the back part of the chain. I was able to get the passenger side top transmission bolt out (it was not very easy though) and use an old lifting hook. Unhooking everything and pulling the motor out was extremely easy but like hstang said an engine leveler would help considerably. I didn't have one.

Chrishei1 is right about two things. You can leave the radiator and fan on and just take the plastic part off. He is also right about it being extremely hard to get back in with the transmission still attached. Actually getting it in is not the real problem. The real problem is getting it back far enough to fit the motor mounts to the holes in the crossmember.

I have never had much luck installing the transmission from underneath the car so I alway pull it with the motor.

When I do this again, I will probably pull the engine and transmission together but I will probably separate them once they are out then install the motor and try to install the transmission from underneath.

Good luck whatever you do and just take it real slow.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ramdge said:
blackgt76 ,

I pulled mine the old fashion way with the transmission attached.

The hardest part was finding a place to hook the back part of the chain. I was able to get the passenger side top transmission bolt out (it was not very easy though) and use an old lifting hook. Unhooking everything and pulling the motor out was extremely easy but like hstang said an engine leveler would help considerably. I didn't have one.

Chrishei1 is right about two things. You can leave the radiator and fan on and just take the plastic part off. He is also right about it being extremely hard to get back in with the transmission still attached. Actually getting it in is not the real problem. The real problem is getting it back far enough to fit the motor mounts to the holes in the crossmember.

I have never had much luck installing the transmission from underneath the car so I alway pull it with the motor.

When I do this again, I will probably pull the engine and transmission together but I will probably separate them once they are out then install the motor and try to install the transmission from underneath.

Good luck whatever you do and just take it real slow.
RAMDGE,

WHERE DID YOU HOOK UP THE CHAIN ON THE FRONT, I LOOKED AROUND AND DID NOT FIND ANY GOOD SPOTS, I WOULD RATHER PULL THEM TOGETHER AND THEM CRACK IT APART, BUT SOME PEOPLE (NOT ON CORRAL)TOLD ME THEY HAVE TO COME OUT FROM THE BUTTOM WITH I THOUGHT WAS BS AND THAT IT WOULD BE PRETTY MUCH IMPOSSIBLE TO PULL BOTH. WHAT WAS THE REASON YOU PULLED THE MOTOR OUT. WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL ADRESS?
THANKS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Blackgt76,

Most people hook the front chain to one of the alternator bolts after removing the alternator. I had the alternator and intake off mine when I pulled it. It will be a little harder with the intake and alternator on. I may have used one of the front cover bolts in the same area as the alternator bolts. I really don't exactly remember. Just be absolutely sure that the chain is heavy enough and that the bolts are long enough. The motor is way too expensive to drop.

You can probably find some more information on pulling the motor by searching the archives.

I pulled mine because it was smoking and it needed a rebuild.

I don't post my email address because I use it for work but I check the corral board it least once a day usually more so if you have any more questions just post here.

Good luck

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i will pull it as soon as i find out if i can get it done under warranty, if not it is coming out, what did the rebuild cost and did you do it yourself or had a shop do it. what caused the motor to smoke?

·
Registered
31 Posts
blackgt76,

Good luck on getting it covered under warranty.

I didn't even bother trying since I had the blower on it.

I can't tell you much on the rebuild since it hasn't been done
yet. I was lucky enough to find a complete 2001 motor on ebay so I bought it instead of doing the rebuild. It cost a little more
than the rebuild will but at least I can drive the car now.

I will definately have someone else do the shortblock. I haven't
decided on whether to pull the heads myself or not. I hear most places charge about $600 for just pulling and replacing the heads so I am trying to decide if I am going to try and do that myself.

The shortblock should run about $3000 or so. So I am saving money to get the shortblock rebuilt.

As far as the smoke goes, my best guess is that I broke a piston ring or the top part of the piston. It still ran fine but it bent the electrode on the spark plug and had oil in the exhaust. I didn't expect the stock shortblock to last long with the blower on it so I wasn't terrible disappointed.

Good luck with yours

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car only has gears, suspension, exaust and other small mods, nothing on the motor, but you are right about the warranty, they suck about that. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
When Lamotta Performance swapped out my engines a couple years ago, they layed the hood back on the windshield with towel underneath hood, dropped the tranny first because they were going to swap it out anyway, and took the engine out the top. In less than 3 hrs, working by himself, Jake had it on the shop floor.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the motor out

ramdge said:
blackgt76,

Good luck on getting it covered under warranty.

I didn't even bother trying since I had the blower on it.

I can't tell you much on the rebuild since it hasn't been done
yet. I was lucky enough to find a complete 2001 motor on ebay so I bought it instead of doing the rebuild. It cost a little more
than the rebuild will but at least I can drive the car now.

I will definately have someone else do the shortblock. I haven't
decided on whether to pull the heads myself or not. I hear most places charge about $600 for just pulling and replacing the heads so I am trying to decide if I am going to try and do that myself.

The shortblock should run about $3000 or so. So I am saving money to get the shortblock rebuilt.

As far as the smoke goes, my best guess is that I broke a piston ring or the top part of the piston. It still ran fine but it bent the electrode on the spark plug and had oil in the exhaust. I didn't expect the stock shortblock to last long with the blower on it so I wasn't terrible disappointed.

Good luck with yours

Well i got the motor and trans out today, definately more work then a fox body 5.0. Anyways, what is the best way to put the motor and tranny back in, together or motor and then do the tranny underneath. Anyone have an extra starter, the one i pulled out is junk.

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

One more thing, mu car currently has 4.10's, subframes,flowmaster catback, bassani X with cats,pulleys, k&n, tri x shifter,eiback springs, bilstein struts and shocks, are there any other free or cheap mods i can do to it. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts