Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I posted this in the Southeast section but no one has replied. I have afriend with a 99 Cobra with all the bolt ons, 3.73 and a Pro-Charger. He blew his rear the other day really bad and will need to replace it. We were talking about maybe replacing it with a 9 inch and ditching the independant rear suspension. Can this be done and how much work is involved. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The live axle swap is a direct bolt in and pretty painless. You may run into a few problems with the brakes but nothing major. I have a live axle out of 94GT in my 99 Cobra. It has a built diff and 31 spline mosiers and has seen lower mid 10's. No problems.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You would be better off with an 8.8. It's plenty strong. You can also get nine inch bearing ends welded on 8.8's and they're even stronger. To answer the first question, yes, a stick axle is a direct replacement in a IRS cobra. Beside the housing and control arms, you will need ABS sensors and a driveshaft from a GT. The axles are wider in 99-up cars, so if you want to run four wheels of the same size and not have the rears look funny, you need a 99-up width housing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts