Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm working on a shift indicator project and I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of readout I would get from pin 26 on the ecu "To Coil Driver 1 (A)". Basically, I'm wanting to grab RPM's from it like most tachs and typical shift lights do.
Is it just a set voltage? Is there any sort of timing that goes on? etc.
All information helps!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I believe that’s how raptor performance shift lights work, tie into the coil driver to measure voltage. Now, how the signal is then multiplied to give rpm is internal in the shift light and I don’t know, but that’s a good starting place.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that’s how raptor performance shift lights work, tie into the coil driver to measure voltage. Now, how the signal is then multiplied to give rpm is internal in the shift light and I don’t know, but that’s a good starting place.
So the coil driver delivers voltage..do we know if it's a pulse or if it's linear?

·
Registered
22,414 Posts
primary ...........its a digital signal

tachs grab secondary, from coil negative, so i have no idea what you are after.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
primary ...........its a digital signal

tachs grab secondary, from coil negative, so i have no idea what you are after.
I'm trying to grab the easiest signal to decode and use for RPM's. I'm designing an F1 style shift light. If you have any suggestions as to what would work I'd really appreciate it. I've read that pin 26 from the PCM is the coil - so I could grab that and decode it..I just don't know of any others and I can't see if the gauge cluster (99-04) receives a wire specifically for tach.

·
Registered
22,414 Posts
show me a wiring diagram, i will tell you circuit design

the number of wires to the coil will tell you if the driver is in the coil or not

i suspect it is.

if so you will not be able to get that signal

most modern tach signals are filtered from the crank signal

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
show me a wiring diagram, i will tell you circuit design

the number of wires to the coil will tell you if the driver is in the coil or not

i suspect it is.

if so you will not be able to get that signal

most modern tach signals are filtered from the crank signal
A diagram is something I don't have. If I could get it based on the crank position sensor that would work for me, I'm open to doing that.
I'll be using an arduino to read rpm's (however I can do that) and then program it to change led's on a light bar sequentially based on the RPM's.
For the crank position sensor, do you know how that reads? Is it a high and then low signal based on the whether it sees a tooth or not?

·
Registered
22,414 Posts
A diagram is something I don't have. If I could get it based on the crank position sensor that would work for me, I'm open to doing that.
I'll be using an arduino to read rpm's (however I can do that) and then program it to change led's on a light bar sequentially based on the RPM's.
For the crank position sensor, do you know how that reads? Is it a high and then low signal based on the whether it sees a tooth or not?
depends

2 wire is vrs

3 wire is hall

hook up your scope and look at the signal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts