Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK if I want to upgrade my 98GT fuel pump what one do I use? This has remained a controversy for me and others and I can't seem to find a difinitive answer. If the 98GT's are truly a split year and some have return some returnless how does a guy go about determining exactly which one? Is the 98GT fuel pump either a regular return or returnless or is it a design of it's own? Is there a special pump made just for the 98GT? (walbro) Thankyou for helping clear this up once and for all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone???

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
if the car is return style it will have a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rails. if you dont have a fuel pressure regulator then it is returnless and you should be able to just use a regular svt focus pump

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any fitment issues with the SVT focus pumps or do they hook right up no problem?

·
Registered
67 Posts
the svt pump should hook up just fine, i had the same questions with mine and ended up putting a ford gt supercar pump in.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
The Stallion mang:

Some minor facts about the '98 pump:

The '98 pump is a 2-speed pump. Kind of an oddball. Fuel system is return style and there is a non-adjustable regulator on the fuel rail.

Next.....

Disclaimer: internet information/opinion.

You have to use the pump part of the SVT pump and put it in the '98 'housing'. The bottom bucket has to be modified, too. Bottom line, some minor surgery will be required. It is not a drop-in part.

Call Vortech. They make a drop-in pump for the '98. It has been a number of years since I read the thread about Vortech vs. Walbro but whatever Vortech did/does to the pump but it was more reliable than the Walbro (puts flame suit on...).

Like I said, I am just sharing what I have read on the interwebs. Do your own search of Mustang forums and you may find a few pearls of wisdom. FWIW, I had the fuel pump replaced (local Ford dealer) about 6 weeks ago. Had to take out a second mortgage but the Mustang is running tippy-top now.

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ya I hear ya nyuk98gt. So the "2-speed pump" is the part/feature that seperates the 98 from the others be it return/returnless. And the "unadjustable regulator" is a FRPS right? So is there a "direct replacement" 190lph/255lph pump for the 98GT reguardless of manufacturer?

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
The Stallion mang:

FRPP used to make a high capacity pump (drop-in/no mods req'd) for the '98 GT. If you call them or go to your local FRPP dealer, they can search for one. I don't have the old catalog anymore so I can't provide a part number.

***EDIT: the part no. is M-9307-D46 ***END OF EDIT

As mentioned, Vortech may be able to help you out, too. They have good parts support for older model years.

Chris

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool Thanks i'll be checkin that out. As for the SVT focus pump. Is this a "direct fit" into a 98GT? No mods reqiured? if not what exactly is requires? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a 98 GT. I have a svt focus fuel pump. I dropped it in.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ya I hear ya nyuk98gt. So the "2-speed pump" is the part/feature that seperates the 98 from the others be it return/returnless. And the "unadjustable regulator" is a FRPS right? So is there a "direct replacement" 190lph/255lph pump for the 98GT reguardless of manufacturer?
Your Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is not a Fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS). The FRPS is only found on returnless fuel systems. You have a standard non adjustable FPR just like every other stock return fuel system. You can eliminate all the hassle by swapping in a tank from a 97 and earlier car. You will also need the filler neck and grommet, sending unit, pump housing. Some very minor wiring and you are good to go. I did this in my 98 cobra and never had to worry about the oddball fuel system ever again.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
I have a 98 GT. I have a svt focus fuel pump. I dropped it in.
Diesel,

Thank you for posting hard (real) information. Please bear with me but I have a question or two. The SVT Focus pump will drop in without any modifications? No bucket modification? Plug & play?

I am asking because I may want to use the SVT Focus pump in the future and I will keep this thread for future reference.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diesel??

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Your Fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is not a Fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS). The FRPS is only found on returnless fuel systems. You have a standard non adjustable FPR just like every other stock return fuel system. You can eliminate all the hassle by swapping in a tank from a 97 and earlier car. You will also need the filler neck and grommet, sending unit, pump housing. Some very minor wiring and you are good to go. I did this in my 98 cobra and never had to worry about the oddball fuel system ever again.
That is a very good idea , you should post up a write up on the wiring and all parts required

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Diesel,

Thank you for posting hard (real) information. Please bear with me but I have a question or two. The SVT Focus pump will drop in without any modifications? No bucket modification? Plug & play?
No mods needed. It's plug & play. The bucket is nearly the same except for the top piece to accommodate the return line. Just swap the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
No mods needed. It's plug & play. The bucket is nearly the same except for the top piece to accommodate the return line. Just swap the pump.
Diesel,

Thank you, Sir!

Good info.

Chris

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I just put an Aviator pump in my 98 last Friday. Plug and play, nothing had to be modified. Best $50 ever spent!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thankyou Diesel / I agree 93GRNLX That would be an Excellant write up.
Diesel do you have the part # and any other identifiers for the SVT fuel pump as I understand there are a few that sometimes get confused with the actual SVT Focus pump. If I understand it corectly Focus being the pump name not a Ford focus pump. Right?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts