Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 98 fuel pump for the Cobra specific for the 98 only or is it the same as the gts for 96-97. I know the 98 Gts have the return less fuel system???????

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm almost positive that the 98 pump no matter Cobra or GT have spefic pumps. You'll mostlikely have to modify the canister it sits in also. Go to www.musclemotors.com , give them a call very helpful and seem to have the best prices.

98 is the basterdchild year.

Oh and 98 GT's have Return style fuel systems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok what I want to know is would a Fuel Pump for 96-97 Cobra's fit on a 98? BBK sells a fuel pump but for the 96-97's, If it wont fit is there anyway it'll fit with simple modifications? Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had to replace the pump twice in mine so far. First time was under extended warrenty (so I went to the dealer). Last time I ever buy an extended warranty. I still ended up paying 250 beans for a 350 dollar stock pump. At least they covered the labor. Second one, I got smart and went to a local speed shop, bought the FRPP 170lph (specific for 98), and installed it myself. Took me about an hour. No, the 96 to 97's will NOT work with the 98 tank due to mounting (unless you want to do extensive mods to just the tank, in any case, it would be easier to get a 97 tank from a bone yard). This one should last a bit longer than that stock junk!! BTW, the price was $30 cheaper than the stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks for the info. About to drop my fuel tank right now and remove my stock burned out fuel pump. Thinking of going with a 255lph pump now. Planning on doing some more mods, and I feel shes lacking fuel top end. Again thanks for the info. If anyone has more info please post.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The 98's uses a canister unlike the 95-97. The pumps are the same just how they mount inside the canister. 98 GT don't have return less....98 look like FORD was planning to do returnless but did not make it till 99+

98toplesscobra

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you need help, # is 850-723-8814. The swap is pretty straight forward though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man thanks alot...Ive pretty much already have the gas tank ready to drop. Waiting for my friend to get out of work to help me lower it. Just shopping around now for a new fuel pump. Again thanks...If your ever in the LA area let me know...Im in a car club out here...its pretty cool...we got SOME nice cars. Check out the web site if you'd like. WWW.StraightDomestic.Com you can also email me at [email protected] Im Hector.....98 Cobra

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice site. Loads a little slow, and for some reason, most of the pictures won't load, but laid out well. I'll try and make it up there for the meeting. See you then. Thomas

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Thomas Register on the message board...We're having a BBQ next Sunday...Not this sunday cause of mothers day. But Yea itll be cool if you can make it. The More the merrier. Email me...We can talk some more, Take care..Hector
PS if anyone else is interested Just email me at [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts