Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have N/A 98 cobra that was bone stock. I added the following and now have lean conditions.
1) BBk 65 mm TB
2) cold induction BBK ,have swapped back too Orig. as per C&L's recommendation.
3) C&L 80mm MAF

I had a downstream Ho2 code. right after i installed parts.I fooled it with aftermarket extentions. but i still em getting a lean condition on both banks. But NO CODES. Em i just putting too much air for the EEC to compensate? I am going to try and go back to stock to see if problem is cured.

second dumb question.where should i be able to hook up a vacuum guage?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW the stock induction tube seems to be working (so far) . My idle problem has seemed to go away also. Maybe the guy at C&L was right. Quote"the cold induction tube is too striaght of shot to the Throttle Body, thus making the MAF miss read. Causing a lean burn."

Has any one else tryed the 65 mm TB?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well went out to the drags last weekend. The best gain in the 65 mm TB was .20 in my runs from past ,not bad but not great.Was running lean also.
my MPH increased to 80 flat in the 1/8 mile coarse . Ran about 6 runs on the 65 mm Tb, (took forth) Lost the same amount of time in the 60 foot .20. So as i thought it had taken away from my low end but came back stronger in the top end.

Sunday i put the stock TB back on, lost the .20 but was alot more consistant. Lean condition went away.(took First:)

So my question seems to be answered.Yes i was giving it too much air for the EEC to read and respond with the proper air to fuel ratio. From what i have learned (correct me if im wrong) That the EEC has maps that it match's to condition's (humidity,altitude,temp..etc..) I assume that the ratio was not matching the map?

Question /what is the best way to change the EEC?
Is there software? or is a Pre programed chip the only way to go?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just to share an experience that is somewhat consistent with yours. When I was N/A, I ran the C&L and was making some pretty decent power. I had dyno'd the car and my A/F was about 11.9:1 at the peak. After installing a power pipe (from the meter to the throttle body), my car was running very lean. I went back to the same dyno and had my A/F measured at 13:1.

Sounds like you have addressed your problem. As far as your quesiton on the EEC goes, wish I could help you.

Good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

I have a 98 Cobra and ran into the same problem but I did this mod. I removed the 90 degree fenderwell tube and tossed the filter that came with it then I made a Aluminum filter box to keep the fan wash away from the 11 inch S&B filter and it worked great with the C&L...DA Snake Boy!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts