Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been intrigued by the guys running JY Explorer engines and turbos so I've decided to start a new build. I found a 87k mile 97 Explorer longblock at a JY here in PHX and picked it up for $500 out the door.

My plan is to make a few mods and install it in my full weight 92 hatch with a new C4 I picked up a while back.

My goal is to drive this car to the track (35 miles) on drag radials and rip off consistent 11.5's on pump gas.

Here's the plan for the Explorer longblock:

*Install one of the cams I have on hand:

F cam
TFS Stage 1
Stock HO cam

*Surface heads $48 and install new head gaskets and studs $100

*Install V spring upgrade package from either:

Trick Flow $150
Alexs $125 w shims

I'll be using the 70mm TB, 42lb injectors, fuel reg, water pump, timing cover, valve covers and oil pan from the 302 thats in the car now.

I have a Typhoon intake on the shelf that I could use or I just run the Explorer intake that came on it. I've seen back to back comparisons on NA motors and the Typhoon is worth 15-20hp. Not sure if it would make a difference on a turbo car.

I have read contradicting opinions about running moderate to high boost on GT40p heads. Anyone on here running GT40p heads and over 12psi?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have the same build using an h.o. cam and a cobra intake. My is on a 10lb spring. The Jay shaped metal peice on my tb for a vac line likes to bleed out after a few dats of putting rtv on it so it sits around 8 or 9 most of the time. I'd def feel safe turning it up to 11 or 12 psi.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same build using an h.o. cam and a cobra intake. My is on a 10lb spring. The Jay shaped metal peice on my tb for a vac line likes to bleed out after a few dats of putting rtv on it so it sits around 8 or 9 most of the time. I'd def feel safe turning it up to 11 or 12 psi.
Very cool. Do you have any dyno numbers? Times?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thats sweet Frank! Hey question 4 you did u every have a problem with ur oil dip stick coming lose an making a mess of oil ? I have when the car make boost iam guessing bec the pressure of the turbo thanks Frank!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats sweet Frank! Hey question 4 you did u every have a problem with ur oil dip stick coming lose an making a mess of oil ? I have when the car make boost iam guessing bec the pressure of the turbo thanks Frank!
That happened when I had the Procharger on the car. That old motor had a considerable amount of blow by. I did away with the pcv valve and installed breathers on both valve covers and it never did it again. I am going to install an fittings on both valve covers and install a Moroso catch can when I put this motor in.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That happened when I had the Procharger on the car. That old motor had a considerable amount of blow by. I did away with the pcv valve and installed breathers on both valve covers and it never did it again. I am going to install an fittings on both valve covers and install a Moroso catch can when I put this motor in.
No track times yet or numbers. It was street tuned. Did you just plug up the lower intake hole and the upper? My car is stupid wet by the dipstick and I don't get any considerable blow by. I just drip oil from somewhere. I expected my rear main to leak a few drops when I'm out beating up on the car.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No track times yet or numbers. It was street tuned. Did you just plug up the lower intake hole and the upper? My car is stupid wet by the dipstick and I don't get any considerable blow by. I just drip oil from somewhere. I expected my rear main to leak a few drops when I'm out beating up on the car.
I plugged the pcv hole in the back of the intake and plugged the vac port on the oil fill neck and throttle body. Replaced the oil fill cap with a breather.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
sorry i forgot to respond to your other PM..

on my build i ran the iron GT-40 heads.. the only problem is being able to keep a head gasket on it.. Mine had the 9333 gaskets sprayed with lots of copper and Arp head studs.. On my setup anything past 13lbs it would start pushing water, the tune was 22 degrees and 11.5 AF ratio..If you plan to push the short block pick up a cheap set of alum heads and it will fly.. mine went 6.65 @ 107 and pushed a lil water..

also my other buddy built a car around the same style and tried the MLS gaskets with stock heads and it kept pushing water.. It just comes down to the heads dont have any deck thickness to hold a gasket like aftermarket heads..
let me know if you have any other questions or if i can help you out..

·
Registered
854 Posts
I plugged the pcv hole in the back of the intake and plugged the vac port on the oil fill neck and throttle body. Replaced the oil fill cap with a breather.
I have the breather on the cap and I vent the vac port on the filler neck cause it really isn't any differn't then having the breather on the top correct? So block off the lower, but leave the pcv hose attached to the upper hanging?

I need to find something better than rtv for the vac port on the tb. Holding a solid 10 would be nice vs 8-9. That 1 pound for what ever reason makes a big difference in seat of the pants feel. Otherwise your on the right track. I put the alexs valve springs from my old gt40p, strim, fcam combo in my new set up and they work fine. I use to bounce off the limiter religiously. I also have studs like cornbread said. I'd keep timing down with a nice afr ration and play with the boost. You will be happy.

·
Registered
747 Posts
wow sounds just like my build. i just started putting the motor back togeather today and im going with the same turbo kit. ill keep an eye on this build.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry i forgot to respond to your other PM..

on my build i ran the iron GT-40 heads.. the only problem is being able to keep a head gasket on it.. Mine had the 9333 gaskets sprayed with lots of copper and Arp head studs.. On my setup anything past 13lbs it would start pushing water, the tune was 22 degrees and 11.5 AF ratio..If you plan to push the short block pick up a cheap set of alum heads and it will fly.. mine went 6.65 @ 107 and pushed a lil water..

also my other buddy built a car around the same style and tried the MLS gaskets with stock heads and it kept pushing water.. It just comes down to the heads dont have any deck thickness to hold a gasket like aftermarket heads..
let me know if you have any other questions or if i can help you out..
Thanks, I'll start it out at 5psi and work my way up to 12psi or 11.5 in the 1/4 whichever comes first. I have a set of Procomp heads, a set of Trick Flow 170's and a set of Trick Flow 190's. I just want to see what I can do with the GT40p heads first. Once I blow a headgasket I'll sell the GT40p's and install one of the alum heads I have on the shelf.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i would run the 170's and the F cam and either the explorer upper or a TFS, or Holley upper/lower and it will run 10.50's or faster.. 5-10 psi gets boring after 10-15 minutes...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
i would run the 170's and the F cam and either the explorer upper or a TFS, or Holley upper/lower and it will run 10.50's or faster.. 5-10 psi gets boring after 10-15 minutes...
Def faster that 10.50 with an auto.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
We just finished a build on an 89 GT running an explorer long block with arp head bolts a b cam and an on3 kit

Car has a TKO600 and 3.55 gears, holds 13psi just fine and pulls hard. No real track times yet... We ran 1/8 one time at 7psi with a t-5 blowing off between shifts and got an 8.40.... Had traction issues as well, I'm confident it would go well into the 7s now.

I'd definitely run the aluminum heads and about 9psi... That thing would eat.

·
Registered
854 Posts
We just finished a build on an 89 GT running an explorer long block with arp head bolts a b cam and an on3 kit

Car has a TKO600 and 3.55 gears, holds 13psi just fine and pulls hard. No real track times yet... We ran 1/8 one time at 7psi with a t-5 blowing off between shifts and got an 8.40.... Had traction issues as well, I'm confident it would go well into the 7s now.

I'd definitely run the aluminum heads and about 9psi... That thing would eat.
What did the car trap?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No cage so I am limited to 11.50. My local tracks are pretty strict. Already got thrown out in my vert for running a 13.3 on the first pass. I am just not ready to cage this car so I'll have to settle for 11's.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts