Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So car has been sitting for awhile, key fob has been problematic for years, but good batteries in it, but will no longer lock/unlock doors. and when I put the key in the ignition, the Anti-Theft light just flashes, and will not crank at all. I've done hours of searching on the net, tried many different processes to try to resolve my issue. Nothing so far has worked, I have an appointment for the dealer Friday to have them look at it, but would still like to solve it prior to towing it to the dealer. I have only 1 remote/1 key, so that might be more difficult for them to fix. The range on my remote has always been terrible, like <10 feet from the car to operate locks. But that still doesn't explain the key not being recognized by the car.

Thanks, in advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
key fob has nothing to do with PATS

the good news is that all 96-97 cobras have the exact same pats code in them so if u suspect the ecu is bad u can simply swap it with another and no programming is needed since the pats code is the same.

best bet is to plug in to the obdii port and see what it says

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understood, just giving context. Tried connecting OBD scan tool to OBD II port, but disconnects right away multiple times when I key on, and connect. Not sure if that is because the Alarm is trying to go off, because I opened the door without disarming via remote or not.

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
you should still be able to access pcm and anti theft module

i suspect you have a anti theft module issue, maybe comm failure

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I pulled and replaced a couple of connectors around the ECU, and it magically fixed itself. Started right up afterwards. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Restored a poor connection, maybe?

Can that be trusted?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm thinking. Also found out that even though the remote batteries measure >3V, doesn't mean they will work in the remote. New batteries solved my remote problem also.

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
batteries can retain a surface charge that can show to be okay, put the battery under a load, voltage can drop quickly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts