Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the tech how to article on this subject and was wondering who has had success with this - including performance afterward, problems, etc.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I did it a couple years ago. It made no strikingly noticeable difference (as I suspected), but possibly (just maybe, cuz I wanted it to :) ) it rev'd a little better up top. Unless other stuff is done (like replacing the wheezer heads and intake), more ability to flow either in or out has minimal returns. If you're going to try, leave the screen in, and take it slow. A nice shape to the sample tube is important for good measurement and keeping the MILs off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did mine, its pretty easy to do, but I agree about keeping the screen in. I felt some differance but in the same 2 week period I installed the O/R h and the pulleys so that all helped. I dont understand why you would leave off the Mils though?????:confused:

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
VegasMcStang said:
I dont understand why you would leave off the Mils though?????:confused:
What I meant was to keep the contours clean and smooth so airflow is not disrupted going through the sample tube. If you mess this up, you can cause the check engine light, or MIL (message indicator light), to illuminate.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Having messed a lot with the MAF in my '96 GT my conclusion is that it is not worth fooling with. IMO, leave it alone. At best, you may get a marginal improvement. At the worst, you may experience starting, idling and throttle response problems. And, yes, leave the screen in there. It keeps your air flow sensor measuring the right values.

A lot of other reasonably inexpensive mods will do a better job of pepping up your GT (gears, pulleys, timing adjuster, etc.). Of course, FRPP or PI heads would be nice if you have a spare grand or two. :)

BTW PhatDoggy, nice cat.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
NorthwestGT said:
BTW PhatDoggy, nice cat.
Thanks. That's Linus.
Idle quality is an issue I forgot about. Actually, if it's something you feel you have to do, you can always search eBay for a stock one that someone has pulled off his/her car. I picked one up for $25 just in case my playing got me in trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for all the advice - obviously not worth the effort - I'll be making the standard upgrades, cold air kit, pulleys, and gears -should be a good start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts