Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have acquired a running 1996 Exploder 5.0 really cheap, besides the heads and intake and possibly the DIS ignition is anything worth taking off before it goes to the scrapyard? Maybe the rear disc brakes for the Fox body guys?

I might run an add in my local BuyandSell for parts but I put this here to see what can be used for a Mustang...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Maybe the ECU, sensors, engine wiring harness, etc..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the ECU, sensors, engine wiring harness, etc..
I'm planning to yank the whole motor, sensors/harness ECM and all. I have been wondering why nobody's put a distributorless 5.ol obd2 in a Fox or SN95 ...

Thanks

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Transmission and driveshaft, if it got the aluminum one the V6's got.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Transmission and driveshaft, if it got the aluminum one the V6's got.
I had it up on the hoist yesterday, I don't think it has an alloy drive shaft, I think I would of noticed. Pretty sure it would be the right length anyway.

👍

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
2wd? Save the trans, they are good for swaps. Jeep guys LOVE disc brake 8.8's because they virtually bolt into a jeep and keep their same bolt pattern.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm planning to yank the whole motor, sensors/harness ECM and all. I have been wondering why nobody's put a distributorless 5.ol obd2 in a Fox or SN95 ...

Thanks
Many do over the past couple years. Quick example is:
Pro-M EFI Engine Management System for the 1994 - 1995 Mustang (SN95) - Ford Complete EFI Systems - Pro-M EFI Engine Management Systems

I also know of several guys running the coil on plug(coil near plug) setups without the expensive standalone unit.
As far as using the explorer stuff to make it cheap, there is a ton of newer and nicer stuff out there now. Here is a DIY version:
EECTuning.org ? View topic - Explorer ECM
This question takes me back to days when I was collecting cheap 5L trucks/suv/fullsize cars because the had parts that "could" work. Skipping ahead 15 years, they could have all just went to the crusher and saved me storing all this 80's EFI stuff and old windsor based engines.

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
Auto & Truck Parts For Sale - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

Post it on there. If there's nothing really wrong with it other than your taking the motor out you might be able to sell it whole on that website. I'm on there, too, because I also own a 2002 Sport Trac.

Something to think about, too, is a lot of non-enthusiasts that own Explorers have to deal with not being able to remove fuel filters because at some point somebody squeezed the connector at the fuel filter with pliers or vise grips. When the forward metal connector is distorted you can forget about getting the front fuel line off. If the fuel lines on the one you have release without issue then don't cut them. Save them and sell them on the Explorer site.

·
11,039 Posts
I had it up on the hoist yesterday, I don't think it has an alloy drive shaft,

👍
All 'sploders have alloy driveshafts...

.... the alloy is either based in aluminum or iron+carbon.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
ECU wiring harness is good. Definitely grab that. The 4R70W transmission is solid, I'd definitely grab that too. If the truck came with automatic climate control, those units are worth something. The engine compartment mounted fusebox is also a pretty nice one.

I would also consider harvesting the hood hinges with integral struts. That would make for a slick upgrade on a Fox Mustang.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2wd? Save the trans, they are good for swaps. Jeep guys LOVE disc brake 8.8's because they virtually bolt into a jeep and keep their same bolt pattern.
Actually the diff would be something I would consider keeping, but depending on the price someone would offer me

I am in the salt belt, the underside of this truck is in ruff shape, but the front end is still pristine.

ECU wiring harness is good. Definitely grab that. The engine compartment mounted fusebox is also a pretty nice one.
The entire engine with harness is coming with me, catalitic converter are still there and are going to be sold to a scrap specific warehouse.

I would also consider harvesting the hood hinges with integral struts. That would make for a slick upgrade on a Fox Mustang.
Is that a strait across bolt over?, needs hood shocks so it might not be worth the cost, but love the idea. Do you have a link?

The thing is... there is a good chance that I will end up paying someone to haul away the body, metal is worth nothing now and because of the missing motor/trans/transfer case it has even less metal. I have a spare GM diff that I am going to jamm in there just so the tow truck doesn't have to drag it up on his flat bed, they don't do that much anymore here (nor would I want him to). So to recupe some of the cost of the truck - $350 plus scrap removal. I want sell off parts but on the flip side I have to be careful not to spend too much time and precious storage space for a $5 part.

For now it sits in my parking, fully functional, so I might take an add as suggested then have a weekend blitz of part removal.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
the diff isnt even what the jeep guys REALLY care about, i bet you could keep the diff and gears and STILL sell the rest for a decent return.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the diff isnt even what the jeep guys REALLY care about, i bet you could keep the diff and gears and STILL sell the rest for a decent return.
Just noticed this was moved to the lounge, it definitely wasn't 5.0 related, lol

What exactly would they use? Just the brakes and housing? Why would they want a empty housing - is it because they smash into things?

Sorry for the questions but 4X4 is not my shtick.

Thanks again

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
Just noticed this was moved to the lounge, it definitely wasn't 5.0 related, lol

What exactly would they use? Just the brakes and housing? Why would they want a empty housing - is it because they smash into things?

Thanks again
Personally, I'd like the entire brake assembly (brackets and all) to retrofit onto my old '79 Bronco.

If I were a Jeep or Bronco II guy, I'd take the entire axle assembly as a drop in for the rear axle. The 8.8 31-spline axle with disc brakes is pretty well setup.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

Thanks again
The main things are. The 8.8 is strong, factory disc readily available parts, plenty of ring and pinion combinations available, lots of lockers available, just an all around good setup. But most 4x4 guys dont really care about tracklocks. They would rather have an open carrier for a luchbox locker, a spool, a detroit... Basically something stronger than a tracklock.

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,736 Posts
The main things are. The 8.8 is strong, factory disc readily available parts, plenty of ring and pinion combinations available, lots of lockers available, just an all around good setup. But most 4x4 guys dont really care about tracklocks. They would rather have an open carrier for a luchbox locker, a spool, a detroit... Basically something stronger than a tracklock.
Trak-lok is quite tractable on the street and even for some rockcrawling, but will need additional clutches and will also wear out quickly. An e-locker is a much better option and they do exist for the 8.8. It's a great and very strong axle.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trak-lok is quite tractable on the street and even for some rockcrawling, but will need additional clutches and will also wear out quickly. An e-locker is a much better option and they do exist for the 8.8. It's a great and very strong axle.
so the 31 spline carrier and spider gears are no big deal for a serious 4x4? I imagine some would still like to have the axle complete for easier budget minded swap? My diff is a fresh rebuild with new axles, not so sure I want to start re-replacing parts for my 200 hp bone Stang.

Interesting, learn something new.

Thanks Guys :hammer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts