Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I get into the story, the unit that I got was a prototype. The pipes will be going into full production in about a week and a half. They will be $49 for the MAF to TB pipe.

Here is the address: www.densecharger.com

Now, the part you wanted to read.

I was very impressed with the quality of the unit. VERY, VERY Nice. All hardware and fittings are included. The pipe is 3.5" in diameter so it is quite a bit larger than the stock pipe. The pipe looks very nice installed, not like some sort of frankenpipe from Lowe's or Home Depot. Here are some pics (fair warning- They're HUGE!):

Densecharger PP and Stock '98 4V pipe: images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3841963/1017686664761_P3270056.JPG

Densecharger PP: http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3841963/1017686667360_P3270055.JPG

Driving Impressions: All I can say is WOW. Very noticable difference from 4,000 RPM to redline. Car pulls significantly harder. I am very impressed and have to say that this is the best bang for the buck mod I've done yet. I'm going to try to dyno it against the stock pipe this weekend if possible. I'm in the process of installing LT's, pullies, and a TKO right now:eek:

-Johnny V.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Johnny: Would you happen to be the person that is supposed to dyno it on the 11th? I've been calling for the last couple weeks about this kit. Do you have an aftermarket MAF? I'm hoping that I could put this behind my C&L and not screw anything up with the drivability. I hope your butt dyno is reliable:) ;) .

I know that your car didn't come with a strut tower brace but would you think it will fit?

John

·
Registered
410 Posts
Glad to hear you like it, but I am a little confused.

You have a prototype, is it intended for the STB.

Your photos make it appear they broke the nice continous rubber 90* coming from the TB. Am I reading the photos correctly.
I also looked at the photo on their webpages, that photo matches my photos.

Densecharger 2001 Cobra Kit #6 No STB

If they did break it to make it fit, then don't you have a big ID, then smaller ID, then big ID then TB. I liked the continous piece.And what's that other black thing sticking out the side?

Just trying and clear things up.
Densecharger was very nice on the phone.

Thanks for the info.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
SSSSSS - I'll be putting my car on the rollers this weekend (as long as I get the LT's and TKO on in time:eek: ), although I don't know if I'll have a chance to dyno it against the stock pipe. There are a lot of people who will be getting tuned that day and I don't want to hog the dyno if they're pressed for time.

Oh, I'm running the stock MAF currently too.

slobra281 - I'll have some pics of the pipe installed next week. I haven't had a chance to DL them to my hard drive yet and the camera is not with me right now. It looks very nice though, almost factory.

highmiles - I don't know if mine was intended for cars with the STB or not. You are reading the photos correctly, the 90 degree elbow is broken apart. I don't have the pipe around right now because the car is about 85 miles from me. I think that you are right about the differences in ID. I don't think a 90 degree elbow will fit on a '96-'98 car because our TB comes off the intake at more of an angle than the '99-'01 4V cars.

-Johnny V.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have to call John tomorrow. I was the first one to get the ProtoType PP for the 96-98 cobras. I have been working quite extensively with John via email and pics on what needs to be where, etc. Be careful in the cold weather, as the PCV connector that goes to the Passenger's side valve cover is very easy to break. :eek: I have been waiting for 3 weeks for him to send me a new plastic pipe and the updated elbow with the ACT grommet on the side. The pipe I have has the ACT on the TOP of the rubber L and it is too far for the sensor wires to reach, plus it was rubbing on the hood liner.

As far as the ID goes, if you take a dremel and remove a little bit of the "lip" material, it should be a pretty smooth transition between the ID's of the pipe. I had to make quite a few little tweaks to the pipe that I was sent in the beginning, but I was just trying to help out the pathetic aftermarket for our cobras. All other intake pipes out on the market are metal and WAY overpriced.

I am currently still waiting on the replacement pipe before I can check to see if it will fit under my stock STB on my 96. I know that a small piece of the STB will need to be removed. If you look at your stock STB you will see a part of the STB that sticks out and away from the strut tower. This little "tab" puts a dent in the tube and causes fitment problems if you don't remove it. From what I can tell, it is non-functional in terms of rigidity and functionality of the STB. If I can get it to fit, rest assured that I will let everyone on the corral know. I know it will be a close fit, but hopefully the engine bay will be big enough for the both of them. :lol:

The pipe that arcticsnake98 has now, is exactly what the pipes will look like. Like I said before, I have been waiting 3 weeks for my new pipe with the grommet on the side and the plastic pipe with new fittings to arrive. I think John forgot about me again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
ArcticSnake'98 said:
Oh, I'm running the stock MAF currently too.

-Johnny V.
Can you put an aftermarket MAF on the densecharger?

I like everything the Fenderwell position the plastic and now the powerpipe is what i've been waiting for.

My only thing is I want to put on a bigger or better aftermarket MAF.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
COBRa1998 said:

Can you put an aftermarket MAF on the densecharger?

I like everything the Fenderwell position the plastic and now the powerpipe is what i've been waiting for.

My only thing is I want to put on a bigger or better aftermarket MAF.
I don't see why not. If you have an aftermarket MAF just tell John when you order it. Personally, I don't see the advantage in going with a MAF larger than 80mm on an NA car. If you use any 80mm
MAF, the pipe would attach the same way as it does the stock MAF.

BTW, can't wait to see some track times from your car with the 4.30's;). I'm installing LT's, pullies, and a TKO right now so I've got about the same mods as you, just going about mine in a different order.

-Johnny V.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't see why not. If you have an aftermarket MAF just tell John when you order it. Personally, I don't see the advantage in going with a MAF larger than 80mm on an NA car. If you use any 80mm
I really don't know what MAF I want yet but i'll keep that in mind not to go any bigger than 80mm. Whats a good replacement one for n/a Cobras?

Track times should be comming today only problem is that my nittos are bald. And that mixed with the new 4.30s might mean bad times, i'll see.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Are the Densecharger throttle body kits available for my Cobra yet? Also any dynos on the throttle body kits?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
John should have some dyno #'s from the TB pipe, you will just have to call him and ask. I think the whole kit for the cobra costs about $170 shipped to your door. As for just the TB pipe, I think it will run about $45-$50 shipped.

I still have not had the chance to test STB fitment with the pipe on the car. I do know that the STB will HAVE to be modified to get them to both fit on the car, but nothing that the avg wrencher can't do.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
blue88mustang said:
John should have some dyno #'s from the TB pipe, you will just have to call him and ask. I think the whole kit for the cobra costs about $170 shipped to your door. As for just the TB pipe, I think it will run about $45-$50 shipped.

I still have not had the chance to test STB fitment with the pipe on the car. I do know that the STB will HAVE to be modified to get them to both fit on the car, but nothing that the avg wrencher can't do.

I hope that helps.
Sounds good. I would buy it now but the UPR has caught my eye recently!Tuff choice.Need more advice first.:D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
FWIW, I was going to get the UPR tube, but it is metal. Some say you can insulate it, but there is no way it will give as cold of an air charge as the plastic piece from Densecharger.

Also the Densecharger pipe is cheaper than the UPR tube, which is always a plus. ;)

Either way, I don't think you will have a problem selling the part(s) if you don't like them for some reason or another.

If you are going to buy the UPR tube, contact "Jared Rude" from the corral. He is a wholesale distributor for UPR parts and can get them to you cheaper than buying from UPR directly. However, it will still cost more than double what the Densecharger pipe would cost you. Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts