Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a set that they want to get rid of? I am wanting to P&P a set & see what gains I can get... I want the extra set so that I don't have to let my car sit for awhile. Thanks....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me talk to the boss(my wife). I'll get back to you.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
hahahahha, no problem man, talk it over with "the woman". the heads came off the car with 60,000 miles when i did the PI headswap and are in great shape. also, since the cams are included, you could send them off and get regrinds.

marcus

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CobraNOS, I am at sea & I can't contact my wife till Tuesday. But I am sure she will let me, just give me a 3 days...

Kevin

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats true but wouldn't it be worth it with a cam swap? Also wouldn't my car hit harder when on the juice?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
To be frank with you, 96-98 stock heads suck. I'd invest in a 99+ or FR head swap. I'm removing all of the bottlenecks in my car and the biggest one are the heads. If you get 96-98 heads P&P'd it will still be a bottleneck.

Juice hates compression which is great for the 96-98 models. If you get 99+ heads, be sure to get them P&P'd to bump the compression down a bit. Stock 99+ heads see a 10:1 compression ratio comapred to the 9.1:0 compression on 96-98's. The FR heads will give me the same CR as stock.

Boost works best on higher CR's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
FWIW, I had my 96 heads ported before the PI heads were available so that was all there was available except for the svo heads. Stock they flowed 150in/89ex. After a max effort port job they went to 200in/150ex. That compared well to the svo heads and a little better than the pi heads.
At this point though, it may not be cost effective to port your 96heads, see what it would cost before doing it. I can get my hands on at least 3 sets of pi heads now for about $500 which is less than the port job you would need, but you would need a different intake manifold for the pi heads, etc.
Bob

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
esandes said:
To be frank with you, 96-98 stock heads suck. I'd invest in a 99+ or FR head swap. I'm removing all of the bottlenecks in my car and the biggest one are the heads. If you get 96-98 heads P&P'd it will still be a bottleneck.

Juice hates compression which is great for the 96-98 models. If you get 99+ heads, be sure to get them P&P'd to bump the compression down a bit. Stock 99+ heads see a 10:1 compression ratio comapred to the 9.1:0 compression on 96-98's. The FR heads will give me the same CR as stock.

esandes...are you from another planet? Nitrous works GREAT with compression because you're not raising temps by compressing the air and nitrous, during expansion, cools the charge. On the other hand, to run a blower or turbo, you MUST have lower compression to get high boost pressure, for the same reason given above. Compression of incoming air creates heat. So both statements are wrong.

esandes said:
uhh...shaving or porting will lower CR..what is your point?

I have to go to school now, I'm in Grade 4.
What? Shaving a head will make the chamber smaller, thus making a smaller space to compress the same volume of air/fuel. This gives a GREATER compression ratio. Do you know what a compression ratio is?

Are you still going to build this 320+RWHP dynamo of an n/a 4.6?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Umm, are you for real?!? Forced induction requires much lower compression numbers.

You will only gain ~15 HP on P&P'd 96-98 heads.
Hmm, Boss96 got like 60rwhp from his 96-98p&p swap. That's a far cry from 15. Yeah, a PI set of heads is probable a more viable option, but come on man, only post if you know the facts. You are gonna indirectly cause someone to bust their engine by posting this stuff. We can bust our engines without any outside help thank you very much. :D :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I can 20-30 hp out of just a P&P then it would be worth it to me. My stepdad can P&P them for free if I can talk him into to it. He hates all things 'Stang but has done the PIU swap. He is a mechanic that deals in lil things like 454 Chevelles with hi-rise intakes & aluminum heads. The shop he works at in Bama makes some sweet cars... Anyway I was thinking of P&P a set of heads, put on some FPRR headers. Shouldn't that get me 30-40 hp? As you can see I can get the heads fairly cheap. WIth everything invested I will only spend abour $400 not the usual 1350 for the packaged deal.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think ESANDES is as close to his headswap as his head is from his azzz :lol:

oh crap....i might have just shut this thread down. Oh well, hahahahhahaha, it's late, I got laid and I'm tearing things up!

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
98Roush said:
I think ESANDES is as close to his headswap as his head is from his azzz :lol:

oh crap....i might have just shut this thread down. Oh well, hahahahhahaha, it's late, I got laid and I'm tearing things up!
Only thing you need to be "tearing" are those anemic crappy 98 heads of yours off the car.... they are the problem for you right now :)

Disclaimer: This is in friendly fun and 98Roush talks to me on AOL all the time... hehe...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts