Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a 96-00 5.0 2wd Exploder to drive daily. I found one locally with 200k, trans slips a little, nice body, front suspension needs attention/rebuild and I can get it for $800. I can replace the trans cheap.

Are these vehicles decent to own or have constant problems?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have had a bunch of Explorers (96,97,01 with V8 and two 99 4.0L SOHC) over the years. Usually pretty reliable, front end needs rebuild every 60-75k miles but never had any major problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got 170,xxx on mine. Its a 5.0 awd,I have had it since 60,xxx from the original owner who had just done oil changes. Since I've owned it I've done a tune-up, fuel pump, water pump, timing cover gasket, ball joints, and wheel bearings. I also shift kitted the trans when I got it and it still works flawlessly.
Recently had to fix a leak at the water lines running to the upper plenum and last year I had this weird issue with the third brake light staying on and draining the battery. Ended up being the tail light bulbs even though they still worked. Overall it's been a good dependable rig. Has never left me stranded.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have 2 '99s

1 - V8 2wd Eddie Bauer with 247K miles. We bought it new and haven't had any major problems with it. Front end rebuild, water pump, tranny rebuild at 15k miles. My wife refuses to let it go. It's her daily driver / kid taxi.
1 - Saleen Supercharged XP8 AWD with 86K miles. Front end rebuild is the only thing that has been done on it, other than routine maintenance.

Parts are plentiful and they are rather easy to work on.

One of the best forums here - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
(mines a little newer then yours, but maybe this is relevant). My previous '94 V6 XLT was a great ride!

just picked up an '02 for $500. great daily driver. i had to do 2 wheel bearings upon purchase due to dummy previous owner driving an AWD vehicle on a doughnut spare for months at a time. i also knew my transmission was slipping. i considered just limping it around and dumping it when it failed, but frankly the vehicle is in great shape, parts are cheap, and i really lfind it comfortable (i'm 6'7") I decided to invest into it, hoping to daily this for years to come. trans issues are common on these. i had a new/warrantied trans installed for $1700. been running great ever since, gotten me through some snow and ice!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yeah, what the others have said. I've got a '97 Mountaineer, though mine is (was) AWD and of course 5.0.

The hubs.....in the front. They WILL go bad, and when you replace them, use Moog, not the store brand. I did, I used the cheapies the first time, and made it 6 months before they were bad again, that time I ponied up and used the Moog parts and that was 4 years and 50K ago...

Mine has 300K on it and the fuel pump left me sitting on the side of the road a coupla weeks ago. First time it let me down.

My front driveshaft went bad at the CV part, so I took it out. I'm going to get the kit and rebuild it soon, just waiting on the ground to thaw so I can get my shop's big sliding door to open....frost heaved the ground up...ughh.

Yeah, these are reliable, if not a little thirsty. Love mine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts