Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to beat a dead horse,but, Does anyone have any part#'s of what they used to do their conversion.

I know i need the 94+ Rack, 2 new Fox inner tie rods, and a MM Hybrid steering shaft. Can i use my 80-89' specific AGR pump? Or do i need to get a newer pump. What is the difference in pumps?they sell 80-89,90-93 and 94-04 models. Where is a good place to get the inner tie rods?? Mine is leaking from the driver's side, now is it the seal that is bad? or the inner tie rod? Could i use these in the 94+ Rack, it only has like 1500mi. on it. If i do go this route is anyone interested in the Maximum Motorsports Fox length Steering Shaft i have now?

·
Registered
398 Posts
you have a mm solid steering shaft for a fox rack? pm me. ill take it

no your pump will work fine. not sure on differences between 87-89 pumps vs. 90-93, but they shouldnt be too different. i know though that the fox pump will work with the sn rack. you do need to take the inner tie rods off your fox rack and use them on the sn rack. the leaking im thinking is in the rack. you might be able to buy inner tie rods separate, but the rack you buy will have a core charge on it, so just put the sn inners back on the fox rack and return that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, i'm just gonna put another fox rack in it for the time being, it's $100 from napa. Can't swing cash for the new shaft and rack right now, maybe in a couple more weeks. But for now it's my dd so i need it rolling. But def. keep me in mind about the MM shaft. It has seriously less than 2k mi on it. This car used to be my project and now is turning into my dd.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you might as well do the sn stuff now, your gonna be loosing 100 bucks.

not just cause i want your fox rack shaft, but i mean if you buy 100 dollar fox rack now, and then later on you spend 160 on a sn rack, and 220 on a shaft, then your out 480. where as if you just get a sn rack and shaft now your only out 380. the shaft is easy to change once the rack is off.

ill hold off on getting a shaft for my fox rack for now, my u-joint is clicking in mine, no biggie. so whatever you do contact me when your fox steering shaft is ready to be shipped. ill wait a few weeks if you have to. pm me what youd want for it if you can.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree, but i have to get it on the road and can't swingthe extra cash right now for the new shaft, i know you'll buy the old one but....we have this lovely recession and i work a commission based job. no custos. no upgrades.Reality sux.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done, the shaft will be yours, i'll also have a set of FRPP 3075-A Lower front control arms, with Steeda X2 balljoints and urethane bushings. We both seem to want to go the MM Route, looks like it will be one section at a time for me till the economy picks back up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
my arms already have prothane bushings and sn balljoints on them, but thanks for the offer. im piecing together a road and track box yes, so anything i can find mm that works there is what im looking for. i think the road and track box is where im at, i dabbled with the k-member and the coilovers but im just gonna do the road and track for now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a whole g-trac steeda suspension now, so i'm just trying to swap things out 1 piece at a time and build my own MM kit too. but i'll keep what i can re-use of the steeda stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
The pre 89 PS pumps have a standard thread on the outlet fitting. The post 90 PS pumps use a metric fitting. Each pump therefore requires a different pressure side power steering hose.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
The pre 89 PS pumps have a standard thread on the outlet fitting. The post 90 PS pumps use a metric fitting. Each pump therefore requires a different pressure side power steering hose.
The fitting itself I'm 90% sure is interchangeable between the earlier and later pumps. Not the threads where the pressure hose threads into, but where the fitting itself threads in the housing.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Whats the advantage of the sn95 rack over the fox mustang rack?
Feels *way* better, steering is more linear so the car feels more predictable going into and out of the turns. Not to mention you can find low mileage original Ford SN95 racks quite easily for cheap. A lot of the parts store reman racks for 79-93 cars are dodgy, you never know what valving/ internals they have. The only thing you need to install an SN95 rack in the car is a new shaft ... although the shaft is $200 :lol: ... it never ends :eeek:

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
What is the "best" rack to use?

I know the 03-04 cobras have a unique rack, but what about the GT's and V6's? Is a 1994 Gt rack the same as a 2004 GT rack? What about the Mach 1's

I had a 2003 GT and loved the feel of it's steering. I fi can't get an 03/04 cobra rack, i'll try and get a later GT rack..but what if i come across a good, say, 1997 cobra rack, or a 1995 Gt rack for dirt cheap??

·
Registered
398 Posts
i think the 96-98 cobras have a diff. rack than the 03-04 cobras (with that different build codes, some cobras had the gtv6 rack) and then im pretty positive when i was lookin up numbers all the 94-04 racks gt or v6 were the same. someone correct me

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Looks like I am in the market for a new rack. My AGR fox rack is leaking (second time). I haven't had good luck with remain fox racks either. How do the parts store SN racks hold up?

As for the tie rods, I have a bumpsteer kit. Will an SN95 rack and SN95 bumpsteer kit adjust enough to fit a fox? Would be great if I could retain the SN95 inner tie rods so I dont have to swap them every time I blowup a rack.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you need fox inner tie rods on your sn rack no matter what. the sn rack inner tie rods are longer, and a different thread than the fox inners. the sn racks would be a better quality in my opinion becuase all in all they are newer, try to find a ford one somewhere and use it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
don't let me highjack or curveball this thread but can one use a Fox manuel rack on a SN95 96 cobra car.....setup more for track duty......and looking at manuel brakes and steering fox length with areospace or strange brakes and fox spindles. reason for the fox stuff is to tuck in tires some and open up window for parts on fox stuff even got some stuff lying round. Strange only offers a 2 pistion calb vs fox 4 pistin

sorry for hi jack put if anyone done this etc ?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
you need fox inner tie rods on your sn rack no matter what. the sn rack inner tie rods are longer, and a different thread than the fox inners. the sn racks would be a better quality in my opinion becuase all in all they are newer, try to find a ford one somewhere and use it.
Not true at all. If you use a SN95 bumpsteer kit then the threads will be the same as the SN95 inners. I am running 96 spindles, 96 Cobra rack, SN95 bumpsteer kit, and the SN95 inner tie rods that came with the rack. Absolutely no problems here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts