Ford Mustang Forums banner

94 Mustang 5.3 LS Swap

126K views 84 replies 24 participants last post by  jthomason09 
#1 ·
This project I started back in December of last year. Started with a 94 Mustang V6 roller that was in decent exterior shape.

01 V6 engine someone had transplated in.

Engine removed

Cleaned up

5.3L Silverado engine with about 80k miles

Original interior

Gutted

I found 90% complete interior from an 04 Mustang at the junkyard to put in the car. New dash in.

See less See more
#2 ·
UPR adapter plate and 4.6 motor mount

Cleaned out the excess crap I didn't need and installed new front suspension.

Installed an MS3 cam and 918 valve springs before putting the engine in.

Dyna tech 1 7/8 headers with v band clamps welded on and installed on the engine, TH-350 with manual valve body.

Holley HP EFI to run everything.

Took the existing crossmember and cut out the center and had 2x3 box tubing welded in to make a new mount for the trans.

#3 ·
Relocated the fuse box to the fenderwell. This is 95% drag car and 5% street car so I'm not too worried about driving in the rain.

The brake lines were a mess so I took everything out of the engine bay, went to manual brakes and ran them into the fenderwell.

Holley mounted in the dash.

New interior coming together.

Using the factory gauge cluster I gutted it out and made my own mounting panel for Holley gauges.

Painted the engine bay (should have done it before I started but oh well)

Strange 35 spline axles and 9" housing ends, mounting brackets.

8.8 that came out of the car that I later found out was actually a rear from a 99.

#4 ·
LS6 intake and engine wiring harness installed.

Mocked up the rear wheels to get measurements for the rear end.

Rear housing narrowed 1" on each side (axles were made for a 94-98 housing plus I wanted to tuck the tires in a little extra if I could). 9" housing ends welded on, axle tubes welded by Tig Vision.

Fuel system installed, getting closer.

Starting it for the first time.

94 Mustang 5.3 LS Swap Holley HP Start Up - YouTube

Kirkey seat installed and most of the interior together, B&M ratchet shifter, air bag deletes.

Custom 3" all aluminum exhaust.

Cervini's lift off cowl hood, Cobra front bumper.

UPR rear suspension, custom anti roll bar set up.

#5 ·
First time out to the track about 2 weeks ago. First pass off the trailer went 11.73 @ 116, this video is the second pass and last run I went an 11.63 @ 116.98 after adding some timing.

1994 Mustang 5.3L LS Swap 11.74 @ 116.71 - YouTube

A few days later I took it out and ran it on the transbrake and got that down to an 11.58 @ 117.39 with a 1.66 60 foot. The converter is an FTI set up for nitrous so it's pretty lazy down low. I'm still working on leaving at higher RPM to see if it helps but as you can hear the above video it flashes to 4400 and sits there for 60-70 feet before it starts moving. Should work really well on the spray.

#7 ·
Actually just posted it. I've been a member on here since '99 but just recently noticed this section and thought I'd post it up.

#9 ·
15x10 with 6.5 bs, 275/60/15's but I have a slightly narrowed rear end. I purchased an axle kit for a 94-98 car and it turned out the 8.8 from a 99. So the housing was narrowed a little more than what a factory 94-98 housing would be.

#13 ·
I'll happily extend your weeklong ban to infinity, FBM50. Just keep pushing.

#12 ·
Thanks.

Just finished up the Nitrous install.

#15 ·
As nasty as those seats where you wouldn't have wanted them. I know what you mean though, those but ones that don't stink.

#18 ·
New best with 100 shot.

#20 ·
K-member and A arms were just under 30lbs and no it didn't move the wheels at all.

#21 ·
#23 ·
#26 ·
I'm not sure if the V6 radiator would work or not. I used an LS1 radiator and fan assembly, mostly because it would work with all the radiator hoses/vent lines from the engine. The car I bought was a mess the lower radiator support was hit pretty hard and they rigged up some cheap electric fan and the original v6 radiator was trashed so I tossed them.

As for springs they would work but wouldn't be stiff for a great handling car but wouldn't be necessarily soft enough as a 4cyl drag spring. They would work as a temporary solution.

#27 ·
95 Mustang LS Swap

This is my first time posting on this site. I have a stock 95 3.8L mustang and I am looking at an engine swap and I would love to do an LS swap like you did.

I have never done an engine swap so I am in the progress of doing a lot of research. The most I have ever done so far is to change a cam in my audi a6. It was a bear but with the help of the awesome people on the audi forums it was easy, time consuming, but easy.

I have found LSx4U.COM and they sell used sl engine packages which include the wiring harness.

I want a project that is going to beef up my car and keep it on a budget. I don't intend to race or anything. I just want to drive it around town on the weekends and use it as a grocery getter.

I believe my current transmission is a T-5 but I am not sure. If you guys could shed some light on my project and point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.