Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the other night when going to install the tensioner bracket and pulley that it was hitting the head of the bolts for the bracket. After running a level from the crank pulley and blower pulley it looks like the tensioner pulley is further in than it should be, which would make sense why the pulley hits the bolts. I can't figure out why though. The spacer on the tensioner pulley is about 3/4", and from what Vortech told me, that's the correct size. Aside from just tossing on a bunch of washers, I'm stumped. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chatted some more with Vortech and they mentioned the flat edge should be placed on the ridges of the pullies rather than the lip. I guess doing that won't make the tensioner pulley look as far out of place, but still won't help the issue of the pulley hitting the bolt head.

They mentioned possibly just shaving down the head of the bolt..?

·
Registered
658 Posts
That pulley on the tensioner is not the one that Vortech supplies in their kits. You either need to shim it out or get the correct pulley. Look at some google pictures of 94/95 Vortech setups and you will see what they usually supply. At most you might have to shave a little off of that bolt head to get it to clear but not all that much. Some people just leave that bolt out completely and only run with two. I did just that for years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That pulley on the tensioner is not the one that Vortech supplies in their kits. You either need to shim it out or get the correct pulley. Look at some google pictures of 94/95 Vortech setups and you will see what they usually supply. At most you might have to shave a little off of that bolt head to get it to clear but not all that much. Some people just leave that bolt out completely and only run with two. I did just that for years and never had a problem.
Thanks. And you're correct about the pulley. The plastic one that comes with the kit was junk so I contacted SCOL. They mentioned they prefer the metal ones over the plastic so I ordered one of these Vortech 3.0 Smooth Steel Idler Pulley (8-Rib) Vortech 3.0 Smooth Steel Idler Pulley (8-Rib) [V4FL016-170] - $59.99 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power . It was the same diameter as the one I was replacing so I didn't think it would be an issue, along with being 8-rib to match rest of the pullies. I do have an email in to SCOL to see about the offset being different than the factory pulley.

Good to know about not needing the 2nd bolt if it comes down to that. I do think it's something weird with either the spacer or the pulley itself.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you go:

Vortech 1986-1995 Mustang 10-rib Tensioner Pulley Assembly Vortech 1986-1995 Mustang 10-rib Tensioner Pulley Assembly [V4FA111-062] - $95.00 : SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power

This pulley sits further off of the tensioner bracket either because of the backspacing built into the pulley or because of the spacer. Either way there is more room in the area in question.
Appreciate the help. Went home last night and pulled the steel pulley off to compare to the plastic one. The backspacing is definitely different on the steel pulley so I guess I'll just shim it since the bearings sound like trash on the plastic pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Appreciate the help. Went home last night and pulled the steel pulley off to compare to the plastic one. The backspacing is definitely different on the steel pulley so I guess I'll just shim it since the bearings sound like trash on the plastic pulley.
I thought that might be it, good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts