Ford Mustang Forums banner

93 Notch 408w S475 build

23K views 114 replies 41 participants last post by  Jrogers 
#1 ·
Parts are starting to come in and the chassis has been started. Car is intended for weekend driver...

Rotating assembly arrived this week consisting of forged SCAT crank, forged SCAT H-beams and Probe 33cc dished pistons.

Tore the block apart also this week, late model 351 roller block. Going neutral balance on everything, just waiting on the balancer at this point.

Will have a canton girdle on the block to hold everything together in case something does let go.

BW arrived last week from VSRacing, very nice piece. I will post up some pictures now and progress as I can get some stuff done.

#6 · (Edited)
got the flaming river rack in today, spindle and hubs on the front, and the wheels on. Block and rotating assembly head to the machine shop on Monday. I will post up some picts tomorrow of the progress...

Not really all that impressed with the SN-95 spindles and hubs, will probably be looking for another route as I progress.

#9 ·
Saturday 3/26 update

Got a little more done today. I was able to get the flange support welded. I bolted in place temporarily and noticed it might be to far back. I will have to wait to get the motor set in to see, lucky I just used previous bolt holes!

One question for those S400 guys, I have seen a couple of guys run the downpipe across the top in the front, any recommendations?

#14 ·
I have my s400 in about the some spot havnt done the down pipe yet but i plan on taken it down before the water pump, running it nexted to the cross over pipe and running it out the passager side. Not going to cut a hole just gong to dump it before, I checked and i believe there is enough room.
Better hope you never have any coolant come out of that downpipe at speed.

#17 ·
Why would coolant come out of the down pipe? Do you cool your down pipe? lol

Mine is 5" coming of my Y2K in the same location as above. There was not enough room to angle it down with the stock style water pump. I had to run a CSR electric. Its about a total of 1.5 feet of 5" pipe before it splits into dual 3" pipes near the cross over. I liked the thought of running a 5" pipe, but did not want it running all across the front of the engine bay. This way it drops down, and out of the way.

#19 ·
Why would coolant come out of the down pipe? Do you cool your down pipe? lol

Mine is 5" coming of my Y2K in the same location as above. There was not enough room to angle it down with the stock style water pump. I had to run a CSR electric. Its about a total of 1.5 feet of 5" pipe before it splits into dual 3" pipes near the cross over. I liked the thought of running a 5" pipe, but did not want it running all across the front of the engine bay. This way it drops down, and out of the way.
Lifting a head, blowing a head gasket etc.

#11 ·
My S475 is basically a mirror image of yours. I run a 5" DP across then down to exit right inside the front driver's side tire. Can get cheap 5" bends at alot of semitruck exhaust shops...left over bends they sell cheap. Here is a few pic's of my project in progress.

#13 ·
Well..only real reason I'm running a 5" DP is that it came with the rest of the hot side parts i got on a trade. My car will also be 99% track only. I'm building it to run in some local outlaw 8.5" tire...so no need to worry about a muffler. I'm shooting for 800+rwhp out of the S475 on E85. Yes..the cold side it 4" all the way to and in/out of the a/w under the dash intercooler.

#20 ·
I hear ya man, but it would not "come out of the down pipe" lol

#23 ·
That is a very good point. Will look into 5" all the way back to the split to the 3" exhaust.
Leave the 3.5" stuff for the T4 guys lol, your in T6 territory now :)

#22 · (Edited)
Got your PM Jeff. Ill send out the pics shortly. Im not sure that you'd be able to get 5" round all the way back past the motor/K member. I have heard of people doing it with 5" oval pipe. Mine is just over 1.5 feet straight down off the turbo, then splits into dual 3" pipes.

#27 ·
Thank you sir. I really should get my self set up to post pics.

#32 · (Edited)
4/11/11

Still waiting on the motor and the machine shop..

Decided to play with some fab work while I am waiting. I did pick up the C4 tranny this weekend! Still looking for some 5" tubing here locally, nearly impossible to find. Looking for some semi graveyards now! Motor should be ready in about 2 weeks hopefully.

I also removed ALL the wiring from under the dash. I will be hooking the headlights back up, but thats about it. So much junk wiring under there!

#33 · (Edited)
5/4/2011

Got the shortblock back from the machine shop and got the oil pump and pickup installed.

Painted the pan today and welded the bung(s) on for the oil return. Couldn't decide which side I wanted so I put one on each side.

I will try to get the pan put on and the heads on this weekend. Then the front cover and water pump, some pullies and the balancer.

Just waiting on the converter at this point. Pete at Hugh's I think is going to put one together for this combo.

#34 ·
5/8/2011 Update

Made a little progress this weekend.

Biggest issue was the Romac balancer going on. I heated it, no help. I used some anti-sieze, no help. I was able to finally get the bolt started and got it 3/4 the way on, but it is very, very tight! I probably will never, ever use another Romac.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.