Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts are starting to come in and the chassis has been started. Car is intended for weekend driver...

Rotating assembly arrived this week consisting of forged SCAT crank, forged SCAT H-beams and Probe 33cc dished pistons.

Tore the block apart also this week, late model 351 roller block. Going neutral balance on everything, just waiting on the balancer at this point.

Will have a canton girdle on the block to hold everything together in case something does let go.

BW arrived last week from VSRacing, very nice piece. I will post up some pictures now and progress as I can get some stuff done.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
got the flaming river rack in today, spindle and hubs on the front, and the wheels on. Block and rotating assembly head to the machine shop on Monday. I will post up some picts tomorrow of the progress...

Not really all that impressed with the SN-95 spindles and hubs, will probably be looking for another route as I progress.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 3/20/11 ordered some of the hot side piping to start fabbing up the turbo while the block and rotating assembly is at the machine shop. Interior is out!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saturday 3/26 update

Got a little more done today. I was able to get the flange support welded. I bolted in place temporarily and noticed it might be to far back. I will have to wait to get the motor set in to see, lucky I just used previous bolt holes!

One question for those S400 guys, I have seen a couple of guys run the downpipe across the top in the front, any recommendations?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have my s400 in about the some spot havnt done the down pipe yet but i plan on taken it down before the water pump, running it nexted to the cross over pipe and running it out the passager side. Not going to cut a hole just gong to dump it before, I checked and i believe there is enough room.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
My S475 is basically a mirror image of yours. I run a 5" DP across then down to exit right inside the front driver's side tire. Can get cheap 5" bends at alot of semitruck exhaust shops...left over bends they sell cheap. Here is a few pic's of my project in progress.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff,
I was going to step the dp down to 3.5 and then take it across. Any reason to leave it at 5" all the way? Also,did you run your cold side 4" all the way up?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Jeff,
I was going to step the dp down to 3.5 and then take it across. Any reason to leave it at 5" all the way? Also,did you run your cold side 4" all the way up?

Jeff
Well..only real reason I'm running a 5" DP is that it came with the rest of the hot side parts i got on a trade. My car will also be 99% track only. I'm building it to run in some local outlaw 8.5" tire...so no need to worry about a muffler. I'm shooting for 800+rwhp out of the S475 on E85. Yes..the cold side it 4" all the way to and in/out of the a/w under the dash intercooler.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have my s400 in about the some spot havnt done the down pipe yet but i plan on taken it down before the water pump, running it nexted to the cross over pipe and running it out the passager side. Not going to cut a hole just gong to dump it before, I checked and i believe there is enough room.
Better hope you never have any coolant come out of that downpipe at speed.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Better hope you never have any coolant come out of that downpipe at speed.
Why would coolant come out of the down pipe? Do you cool your down pipe? lol

Mine is 5" coming of my Y2K in the same location as above. There was not enough room to angle it down with the stock style water pump. I had to run a CSR electric. Its about a total of 1.5 feet of 5" pipe before it splits into dual 3" pipes near the cross over. I liked the thought of running a 5" pipe, but did not want it running all across the front of the engine bay. This way it drops down, and out of the way.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Jeff,

Jeff
Yes, there is a reason to leave it at 5". You are building a huge cube motor. There is a lot of exhaust that needs to escape. 3.5" in my opinion is way to small for your set up. Id be worried about your back preassure. Look at it like this, you have a large motor, you also have a large turbo, does it make sense to run a small down pipe? If you'd like to see how I fit my 5" and split it into dual 3", with a 88mm driver side set up very similar to yours PM me your email.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why would coolant come out of the down pipe? Do you cool your down pipe? lol

Mine is 5" coming of my Y2K in the same location as above. There was not enough room to angle it down with the stock style water pump. I had to run a CSR electric. Its about a total of 1.5 feet of 5" pipe before it splits into dual 3" pipes near the cross over. I liked the thought of running a 5" pipe, but did not want it running all across the front of the engine bay. This way it drops down, and out of the way.
Lifting a head, blowing a head gasket etc.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I hear ya man, but it would not "come out of the down pipe" lol

1 - 20 of 115 Posts