Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
drain?

how many amps?

current clamp all the circuit to find it

Also remember if that bulb opens, you will lose charging

you need the correct resistor in parallel
Yeah, it is draining way more than what the bulb would drain from the battery. Literally dropping .1 volt per second. Now my battery is depleted and it needs recharged. However it did run nicely when I used jumper cables to start her up with the bulb.

Yeah, I need to determine what kind of resistance does the gauge cluster bulb provide and get similar spec resistor. This part is foreign to me so I am trying my best to find the correct resistor.

I am not 100% sure how do I measure battery drain by the amps? I will need to google on this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would recommend you read on the theory on how the charging works

the alt will provide a ground, to illuminate a ground when no fielding

there should always be battery voltage at the bulb

if there is no ground, there is NO current there is voltage drop

if the alt stops charging it will provide a ground, and after the bulb, voltage should drop to 0 volts.
I do see battery voltage at the bulb but not at the output of the bulb if that makes sense? That was for KOEO. It turned off while running which indicates I have properly working charging system?

·
Registered
23,070 Posts
Yeah, it is draining way more than what the bulb would drain from the battery. Literally dropping .1 volt per second. Now my battery is depleted and it needs recharged. However it did run nicely when I used jumper cables to start her up with the bulb.

Yeah, I need to determine what kind of resistance does the gauge cluster bulb provide and get similar spec resistor. This part is foreign to me so I am trying my best to find the correct resistor.

I am not 100% sure how do I measure battery drain by the amps? I will need to google on this.
a dc clamp meter makes it easy......$$$

or your dvom might have amp capability, but you will have to wire the battery in series with it, then start pulling fuses.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
does the bulb come on then turn off KOEO?
It stays on until I start the engine then it turns off.

I think my charging system is fine. I just need to get the proper resistor so the voltage regulator will be getting proper voltage. My current resistors are too restrictive. The set up with cluster bulb gave it the perfect load that it needed. I will just leave it there until I figure out where to get the appropriate resistor.

All of the resistors I got today appears to be too restrictive. all of them are 1/2 or 1/4 watt. Not sure where to find 200 or 250 Ohm 1 watt 5% resistors. I am working on it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

or your dvom might have amp capability, but you will have to wire the battery in series with it, then start pulling fuses.
Yeah damn it.... It was not like that last night literally. I put the door panel back on the drivers door on this morning and now I am thinking maybe something is being shorted out behind the door panel, but it sure is a head scratcher why it has suddenly started to drain at KOEO.

I will get to it. At least the charging system works well when fired up.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,070 Posts
It stays on until I start the engine then it turns off.

I think my charging system is fine. I just need to get the proper resistor so the voltage regulator will be getting proper voltage. My current resistors are too restrictive. The set up with cluster bulb gave it the perfect load that it needed. I will just leave it there until I figure out where to get the appropriate resistor.

All of the resistors I got today appears to be too restrictive. all of them are 1/2 or 1/4 watt. Not sure where to find 200 or 250 Ohm 1 watt 5% resistors. I am working on it
sounds right with the light.......

did you ohm the light bulb when at room temp?

that will give a resistor value

·
Registered
23,070 Posts
Yeah damn it.... It was not like that last night literally. I put the door panel back on the drivers door on this morning and now I am thinking maybe something is being shorted out behind the door panel, but it sure is a head scratcher why it has suddenly started to drain at KOEO.

I will get to it. At least the charging system works well when fired up.

Thanks
there are no head scratchers with electrical

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
sounds right with the light.......

did you ohm the light bulb when at room temp?

that will give a resistor value
Good idea - I need to learn how to measure OHMs ha! That will give me my answer. I am still learning a lot of this electrical stuff, getting there I hope. Thanks again!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
there are no head scratchers with electrical
Haha I guess it can be easy for some people. I am still new to electrical and am working on expanding my knowledge of using the DMM and understanding how things work. At least I can measure voltage when a lot of my friends don't even know how to do this.

Appreciate your inputs. At least we can say my charging system seems to be OK. Just got to measure my cluster bulb for its resistance and get the similar spec resistor.

I gotta chase down what is stealing my power at KOEO. I should be set once I find the culprit.

·
Registered
23,070 Posts
key with electrical testing

you need to know what you expect to see

then measure

otherwise the reading is meaningless.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Amazon or Harbor Freight have some decent DVM with amp clamp. I think I got mine on Amazon for about $55. I used it to test amp draw on electrical components as I am rewiring the underhood of my 85 to verify fuse and relay loads.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Amazon or Harbor Freight have some decent DVM with amp clamp. I think I got mine on Amazon for about $55. I used it to test amp draw on electrical components as I am rewiring the underhood of my 85 to verify fuse and relay loads.
Thanks! I just placed an order on this DVM with amp clamp.

AstroAI Digital Clamp Meter, TRMS 6000 Counts Multimeter Volt Meter with Manual and Auto Ranging; Measures Voltage Tester, Current, Resistance, Continuity, Frequency; Tests Diodes, Temperature https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746HHRQF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kMERCbCWGQSJ1

However I noticed that it says that it only measures AC current. Is that going to be an issue?

If I am going to be Ok, then what is the best way to use the clamp on my set up to determine what is stealing all of the power at KOEO?

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Looks like all of the cheaper units have a limit of 100A

Would you be comfortable with Klein brand clamp that can do up to 600 Amps? It is a little cheaper. See below.

Digital Clamp Meter AC/DC Auto-Ranging 600 Amp Measures Voltage, Resistance, Temp, More Klein Tools CL800 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CY4FB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_a-ERCbH7KDS59

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I went with the Klein clamp CL800 which apparently does have a range of 600 Amps for both AC and DC. It was almost $30 cheaper.

Please do let me know if any of you advise against the Klein brand meters. I can always cancel my order and get the right one.

I should get the clamp delivered tomorrow then I am going to try to get to bottom of my power draw issue right away so I can get it 100% right before the transport company picks up my mustang to be shipped to California on May 5th. I am relocating to a San Diego in less than a month.

Thanks guys!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts