Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was hoping those of you with access to junk yards with multiple cobras around might know this so I don't go buying parts just to fuel my curiosity. ;)

Aside from the brackets & piston sizes, what exactly are the differences between the '93 Cobra R rear brake calipers and the '94-'04 rear brake calipers? Are they any bigger/smaller than one another? Do they have different distances between their mounting bolt holes, of offer different widths for pads/rotors?

Example '93 Cobra R caliper: More Information for CARDONE 18B4508
Example '94-'04 caliper: More Information for CARDONE 18B4544A

Example '93 Cobra R pads: More Information for CENTRIC 30005450
Example '94-'04 pads: More Information for CENTRIC 30006270

The reason I ask is because I noticed there are several similarities between these two, and the only noticeable changes I can spot are mostly just the application of them (i.e. the '94-'04 calipers are mounted further away from the axle to accommodate a larger rotor, hence the taller pads), and that the top stamp (the side branded with Varga) is slightly different. Got me wondering if anyone had ever tried to mount the '94-'00 calipers on '93 Cobra/T-Bird Turbo Coupe brackets with '93 Cobra pads. I figured surely someone's already confirmed whether this worked or not...

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
If your resources are correct, the 93 Cobra R appears to be the same caliper Ford used on the Standard 93 Cobra - 45mm Varga cast Iron using a D347 profile pad. All the sn and new edge Cobras use a 38mm Varga CI caliper with a D627 profile. The sn and new edge GTs use the same caliper with the same profile but a bit thicker pad due to the thinner 10.5" non-vented disc.

They are not interchangeable because the two sizes use different caliper mount cages.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
The 1993 Cobra R rear brake setup is the same as the 91-92 Lincoln Mark 7. It uses the same caliper as the standard 93 Cobra, but the rotors and bracketry is unique to the 5-lug Mark 7.

Some of the 91-92 Saleens also used this same rear disk brake setup. 91 was a crossover year with some receiving the SVO/84-90 Mark 7 rear setup, and later 91's getting the 91-92 Mark 7 setup.

Got me wondering if anyone had ever tried to mount the '94-'00 calipers on '93 Cobra/T-Bird Turbo Coupe brackets with '93 Cobra pads. I figured surely someone's already confirmed whether this worked or not...
What are you trying to do exactly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you trying to do exactly?
Mainly trying to see if I'll still be able to support my current 4-lug rear disc setup before all the turbo coupe/93 Cobra calipers disappear.

My current calipers are sticking and need rebuilt (had a previous leak, both sides roasted while stuck), was hooping to see if there were any options to buy a new pair, but everywhere I look they're either out of stock, or only the Right Rear is available, or they're only available as part of a conversion kit. Meanwhile, there's still a ton of options for the SN95 cobra-style calipers, but I don't have the money to throw down on a full 5-lug conversion + wheels to get the right size rotors for the SN95 calipers' brackets. Seems like the writing's on the wall for '93 Cobra calipers, so I might not have much of a choice...

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
You're right. Just searched around and rear 93 cobra calipers (especially the left one) are hard to find. There are some on ebay under 91-92 Mark7, and i believe Early 90's Taurus's also used the same rear caliper (would need to compare part numbers to be sure)

Guess many people are buying them up and not returning cores. Looks like they are starting to go the way of 93 cobra boosters.

Rebuild kits do seem to be available though.

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
FWIW, I'd rather use that big 45mm 93 Cobra rear caliper if it could be fitted to larger than a 10.25" rotor. The D347 pad is massive and quite thick compared to the typical rear GT/Cobra pad. This means more rear brake torque and wear potential. I tried to retro fit using NRC brackets but to no avail. If the calipers become more plentiful, it might be worth the effort to fab the correct brackets to fit over an 11.65" Cobra rear rotor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts