Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys is a 9.5.1 compression with about 15-17 psi through the turbo safe??
the main goal is to get to the 600 rwhp level. so not really sure how much boost ill need.

i know that a lower compression would be more ideal. but i found a killer deal on a short block that im picking up this weekend.

please let me know thanks brett

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
pump fuel + meth inj or e-85 like stated above and no prob at all.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do have a e85 gas station 3 miles from my house. hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm its just those darn long road trips im worried about.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Are you going to be running an intercooler? You may have to pull some timing out up top but you should be able to hit around 15psi and be ok on 93 oct. I would pay close attention to your IAT's and your AFR. I would also talk to who is going to be doing the tuning work as well. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Going E85 is ok but be prepared to upgrade your fuel system from pump to injector.

·
Registered
364 Posts
my build is a 9.1, stock compression is 9.5 i believe in a fox, so i dont think you should have a problem at all. I think 10.0 is the very max for boost.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you going to be running an intercooler? You may have to pull some timing out up top but you should be able to hit around 15psi and be ok on 93 oct. I would pay close attention to your IAT's and your AFR. I would also talk to who is going to be doing the tuning work as well. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Going E85 is ok but be prepared to upgrade your fuel system from pump to injector.
thanks you for the input. also it is inter-cooled and i might try getting it tuned with 93 first to see where that takes me,

my current setup is stock 2v 8 lbs through the turbo. made 460hp/514tq turbo has bin on the car just shy of a year.

boost is currently at 10psi so im sure im over the 500 hp mark.

im sure my stock bottom end hates me right now. first i started with 125 nitrous ran about 10 bottles, then switched to procharger at 10psi. now turbo with 10psi.

im sure its going to pop soon. but the last 3 years its had a lot of abuse. makes me really wonder if the bottom end is stock.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Turbo cars will make more power with a more aggressive compression, but the comments here are right on the need to run high octane gas or an alternative like E85 or Meth.

It was one of the things my engine builder changed on my current motor to make more power with my setup....but I do run VP C16.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
i do have a e85 gas station 3 miles from my house. hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm its just those darn long road trips im worried about.
Road trips in a boosted Stang :confused: u guys are funny:rofl::rofl:. Rent a damn prius and call it a day. :shakehead

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
once your turbo with built motor and making over 600 at the tires, its about time to buy a beater. The gas savings over the mustang will easily pay for the car after a year of daily driving. Sure you "could" probably drive the mustang everyday and take it on long road trips, but it wouldnt be economical. Plus insurance doesnt like to pay for aftermarket parts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Turbo cars will make more power with a more aggressive compression, but the comments here are right on the need to run high octane gas or an alternative like E85 or Meth.

It was one of the things my engine builder changed on my current motor to make more power with my setup....but I do run VP C16.
You'll make more overall power with less compression and more boost.

There is nothing wrong with 9.5:1 compression. If you have 93 octane at the pump, run it and let her eat. As with any boosted car, keep an eye on things while tuning.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
you'll be fine...it's all in the tune

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Road trips in a boosted Stang :confused: u guys are funny:rofl::rofl:. Rent a damn prius and call it a day. :shakehead
I like to drive to the track and it's 90 miles each way. e85 stations are few and far between here. Believe me, if we had more of them, especially within a reasonable distance of the track and somewhere along the way, I'd be running e85 since there are two within a few miles of my house.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

I've taken my 600RW Cobra on plenty of road trips last year...boosted, 6 speed, navigation....way more fun to drive than a Prius...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You will make more power through out the entire powerband with more compression.
Only if everything remains static ; lower compression allows you to turn up the boost higher, and you'll gain more power from the extra boost than you will from 1/2 point of compression.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't you guys know......High Comp & boost is the new thing! 11 12 13 to 1 with boost
It's cooling, timing & a built bottom end!......2V 4V & LS are great platforms! stock 302 blocks are the weak link I think in most of our combo's......I'm on the hunt for a 6.0L for my fox & I'm going to try 11.1 comp 15-20#'s & meth all for 5K or less...Of course once I split the block...But I did find a CHEAP LQ9...hummmm?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The 4.6 DOHC going in my cobra made 779 rwhp with 9.5:1 compression on pump gas, no meth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts