Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recovered the interior quarter panels with new vinyl? I was thinking of peeling the old worn stuff off and getting some 4 way stretch then painting the correct color with vinyl paint. I don't see how you could stretch the new stuff around the curves and over the top without bunching, they must have heat-formed the original somehow?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
You might try looking in the Body Shop forum. With that said, I don't recall ever seeing anyone talk about doing that.

As a fellow '89 convertible owner, I'm curious to see what you come up with. Post up if you end up giving it a shot!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Had an upholsterer do mine. But we used the '93 'vert quarter plastics on my '86 'vert. From what I can tell, he wrapped each quarter plastic with one piece of material, allowing for the speaker and seatbelt openings, and glued it down. Likely used heat to stretch the material once cut as needed. Used a similar technique for the dash pad (except he only allowed for the defroster vent openings, but not the speaker perferations, so it's smooth in those areas). None of the pieces have seams and look custom rather than molded plastic/vinyl. The color/material matches my custom seats and door panels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts