Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I've been lurking, reading, & planning this project for several months & am excited to say that I am now the proud owner of an 89 LX Foxbody notch! I picked her up from a buddy for $300, and surprisingly its in relatively good shape. Complete interior, no major rust issues, straight body (small dent on the roof); no motor, trans, or hood though. My plans are to put in a 5.3 junkyard motor, TH400 trans, 8.8 rear, 76mm turbo, and supporting mods. Anyhow, here's my question: What do I need to keep in the engine bay & what can I throw away? Should I just cut off all the wiring from the engine bay and throw it away? OR should I just take it off as-is & set it aside? As far as I can tell (this is my 1st experience with any mustang), I just need to keep the wiring for the headlights & windshield wipers intact...but maybe i'm missing something? I wanted to get some feedback before I just go nuts cutting all the wiring off. I figure just about everything else will come from the chevy harness & fuse box. Any advice, tips, or feedback is appreciated!

I've attached a few pics...the one on the trailer are when I first picked it up last week & the 2 in the driveway are at my house after washing all the mold off!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Don't cut the wires, you are just asking for problems. You can unplug the engine harness and remove it. There are two round connectors by the brake booster (one black and one grey). The engine harness attaches there and the crosses the fire wall and passes through the firewall on the pass side. Inside it hooks to the computer. Unplug those connections, a few others under the hood on the same harness and remove the entire thing. Your headlights and wipers will still be hooked up and functional.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
I just realized you are in Beaumont too lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck with the LS swap. I plan on putting a 6.0 in a 89 LX hatch with a 91.5mm hairdryer.
man, that sucker is gonna move OUT!! Have you decided which company's K Member you're going to use?

Also, just to update on my progress so far, I've done the following:
*removed headlights, front bumper & bumper support, both front fenders & plastic wheel well liners (not nearly has hard as I had anticipated)
*removed windshield wipers, wiper arms & the black plastic "grill" that sits at the base of the windshield (quite easy)
*removed stock K Member (I wouldn't say it was difficult; just more involved than I had anticipated). This thing is HEAVY!!

I'll provide some more in-depth details of the K Member removal process here in this thread when time allows (bolt sizes, locations, techniques I used, etc)

I'll post some pics up this week

I think my next step is to address the small rust areas in the engine bay & some additional engine bay cleaning/detailing

·
Registered
56 Posts
man, that sucker is gonna move OUT!! Have you decided which company's K Member you're going to use?

Also, just to update on my progress so far, I've done the following:
*removed headlights, front bumper & bumper support, both front fenders & plastic wheel well liners (not nearly has hard as I had anticipated)
*removed windshield wipers, wiper arms & the black plastic "grill" that sits at the base of the windshield (quite easy)
*removed stock K Member (I wouldn't say it was difficult; just more involved than I had anticipated). This thing is HEAVY!!

I'll provide some more in-depth details of the K Member removal process here in this thread when time allows (bolt sizes, locations, techniques I used, etc)

I'll post some pics up this week

I think my next step is to address the small rust areas in the engine bay & some additional engine bay cleaning/detailing
I went with Team Z for all the suspension and k member. They're local to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im doing the same project. I went with the AJE K member and a arms. I was between this and the team Z. I found the AJE at the LSfest for about a hundy less than I could get either one off the internet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts