Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 88 Mustang for $500. Gutted and caged, etc......ran a few races end of 2015 to sort out and then the full 2016 season at Mission raceway in BC Canada.

Won the Championship and went quick enough to turn a lot of heads.

Lots of thanks to you all so I wanted to post a quick in car of a qualifying lap....went 1:18.7 in this one...ended up at high 17 by season end.

·
Super Moderator
27,652 Posts
Nice! Tell me about your tow strap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha !

Tow strap is basically a heavy duty strap with a loop at one end.....welded mount point to the radiator well (sure there is a proper name) as far to the right as I could, then ran about 12 inches of 7/8 tubing from down near mounting point angled up to bottom of frame rail to prevent bending stuff if I ever (when) do need a tow.

Used super light tie strap to hold up some it does not hang down.

Let me know if you want a pic.

·
Super Moderator
27,652 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Congrats! That's a pretty good showing for a $500 car! :)

What are the details on the IPE series, and what all is done to the car's suspension and powertrain?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks .... was a great project and super fun to drive.

IPE is Scca ITE ....sort of Open version of IP/IT classes

Bottom end is 100% stock...ported and matched GT40 set up for top end, Anderson N21 cam, 24lb, mass air convert, headers and no cats....big spark plug wires ( : stock computer

Stock T5 with good shifter

Cobra brakes Blue front / HPS in back

Susp in front is 1050 spring, cheap adjustable shocks, big bar...pretty precise bump steer set up.

Back is 450 springs, cheap adj shocks, driver upper cont arm on air bushings, MM Panhard and Adj sway bar

Nice and balanced, but bit slow mid corner transition. Brakes are finally balanced and stops ok.

This winter - going to torque arm rear, 500 springs in back, coil over front and tubular lowers, alum heads, fiber hood, and better exhaust........maybe maybe maybe a TK600 with .8 overdrive......maybe !

Should be worth second and a half....maybe 2 with the tranny.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Congratulations! Very nice and simple set up. I'm curious, what are "driver upper cont arm on air bushings"?

Thanks.
Aka "poor man's 3-link".

Norm

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks .... was a great project and super fun to drive.
Nice.

Do you notice any asymmetrical behavior, left turns vs rights?

Norm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PM3L!

Thing handles pretty good.......had some decent pinion angle changes happening and went up in rear spring rates twice which cured a lot through roll reduction. Nothing big left vs right though..........ass end squats nice under accel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts