Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys a friend is selling an 88 foxbody hatch rolling shell and the asking price is 4500. I live in Long Island Ny where the cost of living is somewhat higher to live for all you that might have lower prices living out of New York. The car has a clean straight body. No rust on the body anywhere it does need some paint though as it is faded on some parts. I know how to paint cars and went to school for autobody so paint isn't a concern. It will come with
-Brand new Hoosier slicks and skinnies up front
-upr suspension such as control arms.
- eibach 70/30 springs
-already welded in subframe connectors
-upper and lower torque box reinforcements already installed and welded.
-shorty headers
-off road h pipe 2.5
-full set magna flow cat-back exhaust
-The interior is mint and not destroyed
-hes throwing in two racebuckets on the side
-the car has 3.73 gears already installed
-stock radiator and hoses that are in pretty good condition
-wiring is intact
-stock drum brakes
So guys am I being ripped off?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
How are the strut towers and rear frame rails? How about rot or rust under cowling? Rust or rot in windshield jam, as well as any rot or rust near door jams, behind front quarters? Remember, rot and rust are usually found where it’s hard to find, like the places I stated. Think water. There are videos out there on what to look for.
As far as everything up in Massachusetts anyways, a good roller with the parts you stated can easily go for that price. Just pick through it with a fine comb brush and a flashlight. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and dig around. Good luck. Post up pics if you can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in the Midwest, and have purchased many cars from both coasts, and everywhere in-between. I've never paid "more" for a car due to demographics. While overall cost of living is much cheaper comparatively where I currently live, than NYC, cars still sell here for roughly the same price elsewhere. Or maybe I just refuse to pay more?? :rolleyes: Without seeing pictures, its very hard to give an opinion of price..and even that would just be my opinion. Post up some pics if you can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the Midwest, and have purchased many cars from both coasts, and everywhere in-between. I've never paid "more" for a car due to demographics. While overall cost of living is much cheaper comparatively where I currently live, than NYC, cars still sell here for roughly the same price elsewhere. Or maybe I just refuse to pay more?? :rolleyes: Without seeing pictures, its very hard to give an opinion of price..and even that would just be my opinion. Post up some pics if you can.
Im gonna try and get pics this weekend when I get a chance. You are right cars should hold their value regardless of the demographics. Its just I always see more bang for your buck cars in the south compared to Long Island. I have a bolt on 302 and beefed up t5. I just need a shell thats ready to go and I can drop it right in and go. My budget is 4500 I can probably stretch to 6k if I save a couple more months. realistically from your opinion what kind of shell can I expect to get for that kind of money? I just want a car with no rot what so ever.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I think the price is pretty high.
Bolt on parts do not reap their expense in resale .
My opinion is the roller is worth 2k.
I do have experience buying rollers , and never have paid this amount .

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I paid 12K for my roller. So the price can vary. To say it’s worth 2K without seeing it in person is jumping the gun a bit. Although that is a price for a run of the mill roller.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im gonna try and get pics this weekend when I get a chance. You are right cars should hold their value regardless of the demographics. Its just I always see more bang for your buck cars in the south compared to Long Island. I have a bolt on 302 and beefed up t5. I just need a shell thats ready to go and I can drop it right in and go. My budget is 4500 I can probably stretch to 6k if I save a couple more months. realistically from your opinion what kind of shell can I expect to get for that kind of money? I just want a car with no rot what so ever.
Great! Yes, I'd say your best course of action if you are worried about the price to value, would certainly be to post up some pics and let some of the knowledge base give their .02

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just because you can paint, that doesn't change a car's value. A car that is worth X, is worth X no matter what you know or don't know how to do.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
As far as everything up in Massachusetts anyways, a good roller with the parts you stated can easily go for that price.
I think with regards to pricing in the northeast, it's all contingent on the rust factor. I've casually looked at a good number of driving, running $5K foxes in this area and they all had some degree of rust. Underside scale, rusted out brake lines, rust forming on fender lips, and surface rust in misc areas. I almost hate to say it, but it seems like it's somewhat typical at that price point.

For me to pay $4500 for a roller, it would need to have the most rust-free towers i've ever seen. In my mind though, short of seeing pictures of this car, i'd estimate $3K or so given it's need for paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts