Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I never considered this years ago because of the small price differences in fuel. Now that it is costing about 10 more bucks a fill-up for premium, I am thinking differently. Anyone else considering this route?

I already have the meth kit and since no-one replied to the for sale ad for my supercharger, I am putting it back on. If wants a nice 2.85 pulley, I got one. 14lb is just a bit wee much for what I am trying to do here.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
On my TT car I run 87/meth but it was dyno'd on 91/meth up to 720hp.

ks

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice numbers.

I would love to tune mine w/o the meth and then just add washer fluid for protection but, I'm afraid I may scatter my engine if I try it.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Nice numbers.

I would love to tune mine w/o the meth and then just add washer fluid for protection but, I'm afraid I may scatter my engine if I try it.

I'd never run boost w/o meth. I have a Safeguard Knock Detection system on it and at 7psi of boost with 91oct it was sensing knock w/o meth. IMO, I think when running pump gas/meth you need safety protection and I have several fail safe electronics to monitor the engine in case something goes wrong. Pay now or pay later..

ks

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
I'd never run boost w/o meth. I have a Safeguard Knock Detection system on it and at 7psi of boost with 91oct it was sensing knock w/o meth. IMO, I think when running pump gas/meth you need safety protection and I have several fail safe electronics to monitor the engine in case something goes wrong. Pay now or pay later..

ks
Well said and done right the first time.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
True...So far I have been lucky I guess.

Check this thing out. A way to cool the compressor and not puddle the meth in the charger...of course someone could just tap a line in their volute and be done.

PROMETH Water Methanol Alcohol Injection Volute Centrifugal Single Stage System | eBay
IMO, items like that are simply gimicks, something to spend $$ on and in reality you'd never feel the difference. Too many people running REAL FAST simply injecting before the TB with standard nozzles.
My theory is that I prefer to spray it as late as possible so the cooling affect takes place closer to the intake. If you're running an IC that system sprays it before the IC so the meth is actually getting heated up before entering the engine. I wouldn't be surprised if the air inlet temp is a LOT higher with that system than if it was injected in front of the TB...... KISS.

ks

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a fair assumption. I got one pre-blower but, it is only there because there is a boss there to put the nozzle. It does cool the charger way down but I imagine the iat's would be much better closer to the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been holding off on that because my inlet is steel and looks like ####. It came with the mondo I got. I have been meaning to downgrade to a aluminum inlet/vortech race unit, I just never have got around to it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You want the nozzle(s) installed closes to the tb blades as possible to get the most out of the injection.
While this is true, I have been reading about people moving the air charge sensor to the inlet close to the throttle body for safety reasons. Even though the computer won't see the actual air charge, it allows them to tune a safety buffer for meth.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Even though the computer won't see the actual air charge, it allows them to tune a safety buffer for meth.
Some tuners/owners like to use the IATs as a failsafe for Water/Methanol and that's fine but the response is slower than if you had a failsafe for your Water/Methanol system like Snow Performance's Safe Injection. Safe Injection is a flow meter that measures flow (better way of doing it) and you can even adjust the amount of delay you get.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will hit you up when I decide to go that route. It would be nice with this stock block to throw some more timing in at peak tq. From what I am seeing, people with a 50/50 mix are running like 28+ degrees with some set-ups.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
I will hit you up when I decide to go that route. It would be nice with this stock block to throw some more timing in at peak tq. From what I am seeing, people with a 50/50 mix are running like 28+ degrees with some set-ups.
No worries, I no longer sell Water/Methanol setups or parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts