Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured i would share this, im always curious about dyno sheets my self. Motor is a MMR street mod 900 5.4, heads are dss 2v, stock 4.6 pi cams, victor jr intake, 60lb injectors, 3.27's out back. 03 cobra ecu with a sct. Car has power everything and AC. It's rigorously driven daily weather permitting.

That's at 10lbs of boost..

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man! It's great on the street, so well mannered not under boost you can drive it all day and then romp it and it's a little animal. I wanna say it a .68, definitely undersized for the motor. I bought the car from a good friend whom i share a shop with and it was already on the car. So i spent the money on the short block and a gazillion other things. lol

here's the build thread on turboforums: Donk's new project: MPt70 on the 5.4 coupe Dyno#'s are in

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean a 5.0 pushrod motor?
If so then:
A stock 5.0 is a time bomb first off.
I can run the ac and power everything with the nod motor and drive it all day in the heat or what ever condition I throw it in.
I know I can turn up the boost and make more power, as a street car it's pretty useless without traction.
And.. It's different!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
.68 housing is little small for at your power level it be ok. Looks like you have valve float at 5100 rpm.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You HAVE GOT to put a bigger housing on there, if not a bigger turbo. That thing is begging for more turbo. I love that it's a 5.4v, something different for sure.

·
Registered
535 Posts
that combo is definately way off when the max power is only at 4900rpms

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree on it needing a bigger turbo! But it needs paint so that will be the next thing on the list.

As far as the power falling how much more rpm would you expect?

My ultimate goal is to be able to drive the 100+ miles a day in any condition and have be on the moderate/safe side with the tune. I'm going to go back and bump the boost up and see what it does. As I said I drive the car all summer with ac and power everything. So max hp isn't as important to me as driveability/reliability.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would expect a modular turbo car to pull to bare minumum 6k, but realistically should be much more like 7k rpms.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A stock cammed 4v yes, but a 2v your pushing your luck.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Your going to have to fab either way because even a 81 or 96 is going to need the DP changed a bit. But the back pressure is VERY high on that poor thing. I'd look at a T70 or 76, something with a GTS wheel or comparable. You can still keep the boost lower like you have it, and it will make more power, and not fall off like it is. Plus the car will be more controllable. Right now your pedal is a light switch I bet lol.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get a .96 turbine wheel on it and see what itll do. And what valvesprings do you have? Valve float is a big issue when it comes to boost on a 2v.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Get a .96 turbine wheel on it and see what itll do. And what valvesprings do you have? Valve float is a big issue when it comes to boost on a 2v.
Nah, mine are stock valve stock valve springs, but on a 4v. Yeah, I would go 96. That will still be a little small because of the size turbine in there, but the only option you have for it short of a new turbo.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nah, mine are stock valve stock valve springs, but on a 4v. Yeah, I would go 96. That will still be a little small because of the size turbine in there, but the only option you have for it short of a new turbo.
Ya the 4v engines don't face the problem nearly as bad as the 2v. Look at 2002mustanggt's car when he got close to 20 PSI. It started losing power in high RPM due to valve float.

·
Registered
883 Posts
power level will rise or fall with a turbo, but the rpm band will stay essentially the same. A 2v 5.4 will choke bad above 5k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts