Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GT500 diff cover on my '92, and it's not clearing the factory swaybar under certain conditions.

Before I go re-drilling holes in the LCA swaybar mounts, does anybody know if any factory rear swaybars with a similar rate that have a deeper rear kickout or otherwise offer more diff cover clearance?

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you're going to have to change things around and, possibly, fabricate, have you considered getting the mounts off the LCA's and tying the bar into the rear frame section?

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm too cheap and not that skilled.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Wait for MM's next round of "Deal of the Day" and pick-up one of their adjustibles? I have one on my car and while it's probably overkill for my primary use, it's a nice piece, easy to install and will clear that cover.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 97 Cobra bar has a 1" jog around the rear axle cover. My girdle cover clears by several inches. The PHB support is much closer than the sway bar. This is the factory cobra solid replacement bar.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 92 bar has about a 1-inch jog too, and it's not enough.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
If you want a cheap and easy fix using your existing sway bar you could make some plates that can relocate the sway bar. Here is a quick pic of my idea. With the plates you would be able to adjust the swaybar's angle and location front and rear.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. Good idea.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you want a cheap and easy fix using your existing sway bar you could make some plates that can relocate the sway bar. Here is a quick pic of my idea. With the plates you would be able to adjust the swaybar's angle and location front and rear.
That is what I did with mine. I didn't tilt it like the illustration given and it's still pretty low so watch out for ground clearance when building. All you do is overlap two plates and weld the top and bottom of the lapped part. I wouldn't use less than 1/4". I think mine is 3/8" but that is just because it's what I had. 1/4" should be fine if you are buying material.

You can get an idea how it's hanging down in this braking pic.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's leaving an 1/8-inch wide witness mark on the bar where it's moved up and down and scrabed against the drain bolt and/or its boss. I don't want to damage the cover. When I'm under the car again I'll see if I can grind the bolt down a little bit and make the proper clearance, but I'm glad I got clued in to the option of adding a relocation plate just in case.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'd try the grinding first, maybe even warble the rear most swaybar mount hole to angle it down the slightest.

Han, how does that low hanging road-varmint decapitator effect getting a jack under the pumpkin?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'd try the grinding first, maybe even warble the rear most swaybar mount hole to angle it down the slightest.

Han, how does that low hanging road-varmint decapitator effect getting a jack under the pumpkin?
It's a slight hindrance but not so much with my new low profile jack. I agree with your suggestion on his objective. He might be able to loosen the bolts and pull enough clearance for what he has going on.

As far as the critters go if they make it past the lil Mach 1 spoiler and maintain their crouch they should be good to go.

·
USAF retired
9,123 Posts
Can you get a different plug that might be flush? Carquest has pipe plugs that are a recessed hex head.
( I have no idea what a Gt500 diff cover looks like)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Can you get a different plug that might be flush? Carquest has pipe plugs that are a recessed hex head.
( I have no idea what a Gt500 diff cover looks like)
Or maybe the same style as the fill plug? The ones that take a 3/8th drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts