·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cost aside............ What are your opinions

80mm Pro-M shorty with a AFM N/A Power pipe

Vs.

75mm Bullet with a MAC CAI

These will be used on a 302 Makeing around 300-330 RWHP With a 75 dry NOS hit maybe in the future

Opinions please!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I second the Powerpipe and 80mm. The MAC (or just about any type for that matter) with the elbow right in front of the MAS has been known to give some people issues.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Like was previously posted, the 80mm combo will support more power, as long as you keep the hot underhood air away from it as best as you can (heat shield). With the NOx shot, you'll be in the ball park of maxing out the 75. They support up to about 500hp, or so people say. I reaize you'll be at most 400 flywheel horsepower, but the Bullet should start becomeing a restriction at that point. If money is an issue, then the 75 combo will do fine as long as you have it calibrated for a CAI.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Can you use an 80mm Pro-M in the stock location? I have the stock airbox and all and wanted to upgrade my MAF, however, the Pro-M 77 is $50 more than the 80mm and i was just told to go with that. Anyone?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I run a Pro-M 77MM with power stack filter, homemade straight shot with meter in the fender. It made 6HP/8TQ over a the bullet MAC CAI. Re-routing air especially 90 degree bends in front of the meter will usually make less power. I've done testing on the dyno with 4 homemades, MAC CAI and March Ram Air. On my GT a straight shot and meter in the fender was best. So my vote obviously will go to AFM power pipe. Little expensive for me but it is proven.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Oh, one more thing. With the MAC CAI you can take that 90 degree bend peice off and bolt a power stack filter on the 75 MM Bullet and it will make 4HP/5TQ. Not to mention idle and driveability problems won't exist. It's a staight shot and you still have nice chrome unit. We did that on the dyno too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same exact setup: 80mm Pro-M and AFM Powerpipe. You will not be disappointed. I went with this setup for the reasons KenI stated above.

·
Registered
519 Posts
An 80mm Pro-M is $315 and a NA Power Pipe from AFM is $232. That's almost $550 for that set-up. I think I'd save money buying the Pro-M 77mm for $375 and stick it onto my stock set-up.

I don't understand all this discussion about "90 degree bends"...can someone clarify it.

I just saw a whole set-up advertsied by C&L for their 76mm MAF for under $300, I'm thinking that may be the best route considering it comes with an inlet pipe too.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
90 degree bend

A right angle bend...like the corner of a square.

When you put the air filter in the fender it "bends" down...some kits use a hose "bent" at a 90 degree angle....thus the air enters the filter, makes a "right" turn versus a straight shot into the throttle body, etc.....

The "turn" can cause air flow issues....versus a straight shot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just curious, I have a bbk cai with the stock maf. Been trying to figure out what the best way to go is as far as a maf. I also run a 125 shot of nitrous. Its alot of money to spend, and I want to spend it well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts