Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Yes.. I would think about using HARD BLOCK though. ANd running water through the heads only if you go that big. You dont even ahve to go all the way up on the cylinder walls Just maybe 1.5 to 2 inches of hardblock around the bottoms of hte cylinders will help strengthen the block alot.

·
Moderator & USAF (Retired)
14,998 Posts
Depends on block. Pre 1979 will do a .090 overbore and not have thin issues. Post 1979 to 1985 blocks are still pretty good at .060. Blocks cast after 1985 to 1993 are .030 over wonders.

The 1969? 70 through 73 blocks are capable of the .100 bore.

The aftermarket blocks, well mine is at .130 overbore, and there is still .040 in it for more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
what about the d9te-ab block, from what I understand is that it is a 79(???) block and that would make it the weaker block am I correct??? and what is this hardblock stuff you talk about I would really be interested in doing that if it is going to increase the strendth of it!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
10seclx said:
what about the d9te-ab block, from what I understand is that it is a 79(???) block and that would make it the weaker block am I correct??? and what is this hardblock stuff you talk about I would really be interested in doing that if it is going to increase the strendth of it!!
Yes the casting is thinner. Hard block is a filler that goes into the water passages to make the block stronger and keep the block from distorting on a high HP engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
know where to get that filler from, and is there any special way to install it?? and you say it goes in the water passages??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Basicly have it sonic checked thats the only real way to tell from what ive Heard when done overboring you want .120 left over at least i say always leave room for one more rebuild on there

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah I am gonna go with the min bore and work my way up if need be! what about runnign this block hard on the street??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts