Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I havent figured this out yet... Would really like some input.

Stuffing Strange axles into the 8.8 Explorer housing, shortening and "late style big" 9" hosings welded to the tubes, eleminating c-Clips and using the 9" bearings/ retainers.

I was going to reuse the Explorer disc brakes for the time being. However- Dimension F on the axle order form- distance from Wheel (brake disc) flange on axles to flange of the housing ends.

I have tried to look the distance up by searching, but no Luck. Brake kits are listed With "offset" 2.5", 3.something" etc.

Tonight I went to my shop and did my best to measure the distance on the Esplorer axle. I came up With, quite exact 55mm or 2.165".

Is this correct distance F?

And BTW: What aftermarket disc kits will suit this offset?

Thanks

Regards
RuneS

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya

No, not welded on, haven't got the parts yet.

Faststang; I was hopipng specs on the Moser axles were included in the file!

And yes, I know alot of the aftermarket brake kits has 2.5" offset, but i wanted to retain the Explorer brake setup for the time being, and my question is.... are they 2.5" offset as well?

This 2.5" offset.... Is it "F" or "B"- Dimension, or both or none in enclosed pdf???

Hopefully PDF sticks on here...)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
The cast centersection of the Ranger 8.8 is the same as the Explorer and F150 8.8, but the Ranger 8.8 has axle tubes that neck down in the middle and use the small 1.40" dia passenger car axle bearings and a smaller bolt pattern on the end where the brakes bolt on. Explorer ends use the larger F150 bearing and the same bolt pattern for the brakes as a "Torino" style 9" end (larger center hole though).

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
2.5 offset and you can use GT or cobra brakes, and it will leave things wide open for brake choices if you want to upgrade.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all answers....

Going With Torino ends (large late style).

And yes, Indeed I know alot of the aftermarket use 2.5" offset.
My question was; what Dimension do I Write Down on the Strange axle form.... I have not reached a conlcusion on that yet.

As I have tried to say; With the equipment at hand, I figured the F- Dimension on the order form above, on a untouched Explorer 8.8 to approximately 55mm. Is this Dimension correct?

(Not easy to measure when brake Shields, shoes ++ of brake Equipment installed)

Reason why I want to use Stock Explorer Dimension is to use the brakes from the Explorer (which has the late big bearing pattern).

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
2.5" is the number, best bet is to call strange and they can help you with questions on filling out the form.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, Doc.

My measuring- did it again last night- still 55mm...... 2.5" is 63mm.

Something just don't add up. I will order them 2.5" and see what happens. If bad luck, I will have to get a nice set of aftermarket brakes.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me add; measured with flanges w/ bearings/ brake shields/ brackets/ and handbrake shoes cut of the tube and put on the axle. Great room for errors!

I will update as soon as axles are in. If member it by then....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts