Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching everywhere for examples of road race cars with different rear setups and comparing each but I couldn't find much info. Which one of these options would be optimal for a road track/street car (no rule limitations) with around 600hp? Money aside which of these would you use? When I say 9" I mean a custom housing rear from the likes of moser, currie, CA chassisworks etc. My car is a 98.

·
Registered
637 Posts
This rear is for a 99-04 though. Tire fitment would be an issue and I don't really feel like getting it modded or get + offset wheels.
C'mon... A little fender rolling never hurt anybody.... ;) Just thought I'd offer...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had Griggs build me one of their hybrid rearends. It uses my stock 8.8 housing with 9" ends welded on at -7/8* camber. They welded on their control arm mounts. The axles are Moser and the diff is a DPI platinum track. This rearend absolutely kicks a**. The grip coming out of the turns is tremendous. I can trail brake much deeper into the turn and the "don't worry I've got you" feeling from the rear during mid corner and corner exit is taken to another level over a stock type rear end with T/A PHB.

Before this rearend was installed I was a back marker in TTS now I'm consistently in the mix for 2nd place. 2nd place because there is a ridiculous EVO with 400rwhp that just destroys mustangs in Norcal TTS.

It's Griggs which=$$$$$.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any hints on cost? The one thing I like about the 9 inch housing is that its easy to have 2 3rd members one setup for street driving and the other for the track.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i would stick with the 8.8 and beef it up....with the tubes welded and diff cover support, posi, diff, axles...you'd be suprised @ how much power its capable of handling...

as far as 9inch sure its pretty much an almost indestuctible piece...but @ what price for additional rotational mass and weight...

there was an awesome article 8.8vs9" rear ends in Race Pages a few years ago...and as far as price for fixing up both to 7sec speed zones, it was a very close race as there was no winner other than the users preference...

the reason many pple were switching to 9 inch ends is because many drag racers needed to run c-clip eliminators...and these aftermarket kits would eventually leak...to solve their problem the 9 inch ends sealed much better while eliminating the c clip eliminators ...as far as axle leaks...they hardly come in the shop for leaks but they do both leak 8.8 or 9" non the less...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Who sells 8.8 housings with 9" ends already and at what cost? My car will barely be a drag car though, maybe an occasional drag on street tires with a manual transmission of course. This car is made for twisties. I plan on getting either griggs or MM packages for front and rear susp. Edit: I found currie makes one, anyone running this piece?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check into any (real) race shops or places that specialize in rear end assemblies, custom hot roads, etc There might be a place near you.

It cost me about $1600 to do the hybrid axle...
DPI platinum differential $800
Moser axles $350
9" ends ~$50
Caliper mounting brackets (for 9") $50
Fluid $40
Labor to modify axle, install diff and setup $300

While you're at it, I would recommend either adding a second axle breather tap or at least enlarging the one that's there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty darn reasonable. I was looking to spend about 3000 but if I can cut that into about half well thats more money for susp mods. I'll check around.. Anyone in the Northern Utah area want to chime in about a reputable speed shop that can handle this job?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea the 9" housing from moser is only 555 bucks and I don't already have an 8.8 my car was originally a v6. The 3% excess drivetrain loss doesn't bother me, nothing a little nitrous can't cure =).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Does anybody know the weight difference between an complete 8.8 and 9"? The 9" looks like a pig of unsprung weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts