Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1967 Mustang Fastback it has 2 different Vin Numbers. one Reads 7F02A its on door plate.. the other is 7F91A its been stamped on both sides of car on aprons. the Consecutive Unit numbers are the same on door and Aprons. I know the 02 is for Fastback anyone know what the 91 stands for..

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just got a 1967 Mustang Fastback it has 2 different Vin Numbers. one Reads 7F02A its on door plate.. the other is 7F91A its been stamped on both sides of car on aprons. the Consecutive Unit numbers are the same on door and Aprons. I know the 02 is for Fastback anyone know what the 91 stands for..
I did some quick research as the "91" was troublesome for me as well.

Looks like it is a Cougar code ... the "7" =1967, "F"= Dearborn, Michigan assembly plant, "91"=standard hardtop (Cougar), and "A" =289-4V.

Check this link: http://fordmercurycougarxr7.com/vin_decoder

The really interesting implication here is did the assembly line workers use Cougar aprons to build your Mustang. I have been around classic Mustangs since I was 15, but not much experience with Cougars, though I like them.
If the aprons are nearly identical, and I just don't know, and the fenders mount the same way in each car, then it's possible... I might even say likely as you state that the consecutive unit numbers are identical. Odd things have happened on assembly lines... very curious.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another possibility, more plausible, is that the assembly line worker erroneously stamped your aprons as a Cougar instead of as a Mustang.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts