Ford Mustang Forums banner

66 ford failane

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  nyvp 
#1 ·
lurking for a while but finally bought the car so i'm moving forward.
I'm building a teksid block 2v motor for a 66 ford fairlane convertible w/tko 600 tranny.
looking for about 550 rwhp.
Decided on the teksid for the str , price and weight saving and the 2v due to the size of the heads, costs, less to break ect. Expecting the turbo to do a lot of the work.
I am putting in a Mustang II front end and removing the towers to fit the motor.
Rc -107 kit http://www.rcmotorsportsinc.com/rod__custom.pdf

Question are:

1-Do i go with an off the shelf kit and retro fit it
2-Buy the pcs and start from scratch
3-Say f__k it and go back to my idea of using a stroker 427w :evil:

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Joe

#3 · (Edited)
If I were to go modular, unless I was using the Trick Flow heads and wanting to make a car that has that motor stock, surprise people I would not bother using a 2valve. It just isn't worth all the work. They don't breath enough to make lots of power, take just as long to fab up to get in, and don't look as nice.

I would go with a 4 valve just for the "open hood ohhs and ahhhs." It just looks a brawny motor.
What looks better

or

But that is just the opinion of one guy. But know I didn't even use the Terminator engine, which is 1000 times more aesthetically pleasing.

Either way, the 4.6 isn't a bad engine I just wouldn't swap a 2v when all the same work, and similar money to get a 4v that runs and breaths like a OHC should.

As for adapting a kit, I don't think I would bother. Everyone seems to have problems when they just use a different K-member on each respective kit, much less a completely different chassis. I have a feeling you would be welding more just to straighten out where the pipes don't clear. If you have the time and patience/skills to do so, I would weld your own, after say trying some shorty headers to get it started easier.

Chris

#6 ·
I'd do an AJE kit long before a MII front end. Much more room that way. The towers don't completely disappear. So you can still do a good monte carlo bar which helps those cars a ton. That and the suspension is outside the engine bay, which gives you a TON more room than the MII. The port exit and suspension location of the MII you are going to be fighting and uphill battle for sure.

#10 ·
I'll have to see of AJE makes something workable for Fairlanes. The mustang and fairlanes are close but not exact.
I'm not sure if your correct about the comment that you get more space using a kit like 64-70 Mustang vs cutting it all out and starting with a M II.

I just wonder if i'm going to have room to fab the turbo in there and where to put it...but i guess thats half the fun.

#11 ·
I've installed them both. There is WAY more room for headers than MII.

There's enough room for the turbo
A MII would not have had the room for the headers like this. But with a mod motor you will have to build the headers to go up. That may make it hard to get the down pip(s) out.

#12 ·
I've installed them both. There is WAY more room for headers than MII.

There's enough room for the turbo
A MII would not have had the room for the headers like this. But with a mod motor you will have to build the headers to go up. That may make it hard to get the down pip(s) out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.