Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guna be buying a 1965 mustang 289 v8 and i was wondering if there any interchangable parts that fit the 65?
braking, suspension, steering components and so one

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no if there any moderen parts that will swap in, ei. the rear end of a sn95 or the brakes off another mustang.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Nothing will bolt right in.

However, there are a lot of modifications that people will do to incorporate newer parts into older cars.

Some popular ones, in addition to racerxmdd's granada front disc brake swap are:
1) Roller 5.0 from an 86-93 Mustang, with or without fuel injection
2) AOD (automatic overdrive) transmission from a 80's-early 90's Ford, including Mustang
3) Dual-bowl master cylinder for safety
4) 8.8 inch rear end from a Fox Mustang
5) T-5 transmission to replace a factory 4-speed

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I have seen a lot of people swap 8.8s out of Explorers in. I never have looked into why but just assumed it must take the least amount of work to do. But perhaps it is just because of cost reasons.

Sent from my iPad Nano
Probably cheaper and more plentiful in the junkyard. I know the rears from a Mustang GT are guaranteed to have traction-loc, but the Explorers aren't guaranteed to, you have to check the data plate. I don't know about the width differences. Its possible the Explorers came with disc brakes, that would make it an attractive option.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Also, do a T-5 Trans. Swap and do the MOD the the Clutch Pedal so it will accept a Clutch Cable. There is also a kit that let's you install Rack-N-Pinion to old classic Mustangs.

·
4,305 Posts
As I remember all 8.8s in V8 Explorers came with rear disc brakes. I think steeper gearing than their mustang cousins. Pretty sure they are also a different width than the Mustangs. Of course all GT Muatangs since 1994 also have rear discs. I'd thought those Mustang rearend aren't a whole lot different in cost from the boneyard.

I can't say for certain on the diffs but sure thought the Explorers had traction locks. Maybe even 31 splines but betting 28s. Regardless it is something worth looking into for a stranger rear end and better brakes all in one reasonably priced modern packaged upgrade.

·
4,305 Posts
Also, do a T-5 Trans. Swap and do the MOD the the Clutch Pedal so it will accept a Clutch Cable. There is also a kit that let's you install Rack-N-Pinion to old classic Mustangs.
I personally would not do a T5 given how weak they are. But guess it depends on what(if anything) is done to the engine for power. If it is a 4-speed car and a top loader instead of a T-10(?) then I'd just keep that. But I never have had overdrive high up on my wish lists.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I did a 5-speed swap when I had my '65 Fastback. But my trans was a Tremec TKO. I liked that I had a Over-Drive, made a Big Difference. I still have pics of the MOD that is needed on the clutch pedal for the clutch cable up-grade if needed.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
The T-5 is adequate for up to about 300HP.

Overdrive is a huge gas saver. My 1966 289 C4 would get close to 20MPG at 55MPH, and about 14MPH at 70MPH.

·
4,305 Posts
I know plenty of people who broke plenty of T5s in stone stock Fox body Mustangs which is a far cry from 300 hp though different weight car. My point being here that they can be broken much easier than say the previously mentioned Tremec TKO can. But I suppose it all boils down to why you are doing the swap and what you are going to use the car for. If the car is not going to be daily driven then I'd not waste my time swapping to a 5-speed if it is a 4-speed already and if that 4-speed is a Top Loader. But I am just assuming here that someone who is wanting to put modern tech on the car is going to want to modify it for more power.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I know plenty of people who broke plenty of T5s in stone stock Fox body Mustangs which is a far cry from 300 hp though different weight car. My point being here that they can be broken much easier than say the previously mentioned Tremec TKO can. But I suppose it all boils down to why you are doing the swap and what you are going to use the car for. If the car is not going to be daily driven then I'd not waste my time swapping to a 5-speed if it is a 4-speed already and if that 4-speed is a Top Loader. But I am just assuming here that someone who is wanting to put modern tech on the car is going to want to modify it for more power.
I can only assume he isn't adding more power based on the OP, but who knows.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whats the simplest n not to costly way to change the alt to 3g, go disc brakes all around and upgrade to modern power steering??

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts