Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of my Paxton SN93 (10lbs) and get a turbo or a vortech. I dont know much about Turbos. I have a stock bottom 3.73 gear/typhoon intake,255pump,t-rex,42 injectors,80mass,f-cam and 70 throttle. I found a 61-1 turbonetics kit for 2500. How much boost and HP will I see on a stock bottom. And is there alot of lag. I made 387 rwhp with the SN93 on the car now. I didn't want to go to big on the turbo, no future plans on a rebuild. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That turbo will make enough boost to break a stock 302 short block. With your mods I'd have to guess that the turbo would make 16psi. You'll need a good tune and head studs to have any hope of holding hg's at that level. The 62 turbo will blow the vortech away in terms of peak hp and tq. BUT the turbo is a much more difficult install and will require more maintenance.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to Threadstone the one who have the turbo. They said the 62-1 turbo is good for a stock bottom end. I'll have to buy a boost controller to adjust the boost.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I talked to Threadstone the one who have the turbo. They said the 62-1 turbo is good for a stock bottom end. I'll have to buy a boost controller to adjust the boost.
Better do your research on Treadstone, lots of people have had problems with the headers cracking. With a turbo you control the boost with a wastegate. You can also ad a boost control to make changes wo changing the wastegate spring.

·
Registered
648 Posts
go with another turbo company, threadstone is a no no when it comes to turbo headers. I had a set and didn't even make it to using them. After drilling out every header bolt hole to get them to even fit, I said no way and they are some one here that had them to crack. If you want a good cheaper than most kit on3 is the way to go. And when looking at turbocharging a stock 302, your looking at 400rwhp easy, just depends on how far your willing to push it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
go with another turbo company, threadstone is a no no when it comes to turbo headers. I had a set and didn't even make it to using them. After drilling out every header bolt hole to get them to even fit, I said no way and they are some one here that had them to crack. If you want a good cheaper than most kit on3 is the way to go. And when looking at turbocharging a stock 302, your looking at 400rwhp easy, just depends on how far your willing to push it.

Thanks Spoolinranger

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to on3 performance today. I think I'm going with the t67 turbo for extra $. Mike at on3 performance said it the same HP as the t70 but a little smaller and it spools up quicker. It comes set out the box with 9lbs and with my combo I should be 450ish rwhp. I didn't want to go that much higher than 450 because of the stock bottom end.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am going to build a turbo kit on 89 coupe on a stock engine. I plan on running a precision Billet 6265 .81 hotside. Should spool very nice on a 5.0. I would imagine full boost (15+psi) around 2500 rpm with tons of torque!

Btw, I ran this same turbo on my previous car ( 1993 lexus sc300) and on a bone stock engine was able to run a [email protected] Awesome turbo! BTW.

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I am going to build a turbo kit on 89 coupe on a stock engine. I plan on running a precision Billet 6265 .81 hotside. Should spool very nice on a 5.0. I would imagine full boost (15+psi) around 2500 rpm with tons of torque!

Btw, I ran this same turbo on my previous car ( 1993 lexus sc300) and on a bone stock engine was able to run a [email protected] Awesome turbo! BTW.

Lawrence
Isnt that the same motor as the Supra 2jz? Don't know much about the imports but that's damn impressive!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Isnt that the same motor as the Supra 2jz? Don't know much about the imports but that's damn impressive!
Pretty much the same motor streingth wise. I've been running and tuning 2jz's for the past 9 years. Now stepping up to V8 power :salute:

Lawrence

1 - 13 of 13 Posts