Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few weeks back I dyno'd 605whp/561wtq with wastegate pressure (~13psi) on my built 4.6L 2V. I was running very large cams left from my previous supercharger setup. I had very slow spool and felt it was hurting my power. After researching a bunch online, I decided to go back to a stock cam to compare. And the results were AMAZING!!!

Stage 3 Blower Cams: [.545I/.545E Lift][242I/250E @ .050" Duration][114 LSA]
Stock/OEM Cams: [.507I/.534E Lift][200I/210E @ .050" Duration]

Black: STG3 Cams w/16.5' timing, 13psi
Yellow: Stock Cams w/ 14' timing, 13psi
* Everything else was unchanged! Gained 91TQ, 40HP and much fatter powerband!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-18cc dish pistons, 38cc heads. I've tried numerous online calulators but can't seem to get an accurate #. Should be a little over 10:1.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Looks about right. Stock cams picked up hp/tq everywhere!
Yep, looks just like your chart you had posted for me!

Stocks cams seem to work very well on turbo cars!

It really surprised me to see a stock cam outperform his huge cams even at the high end like that.

Ill post a before/after of my car with stockers vs my cams as well.

Although mine are no where near as aggressive as Josh's, I still hope to gain power everywhere

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
The stock cams are great for a lower rpm and lower boost setup. What intake was this with? I'd like to see the comparison once a larger turbo is installed and running more boost and rpm

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The stock cams are great for a lower rpm and lower boost setup. What intake was this with? I'd like to see the comparison once a larger turbo is installed and running more boost and rpm
I think he has a trick flow intake manifold

It really doesn't look like his power is lower than the other cams till about 6300-6400 rpms

I'll post what my setup does with stock cams vs my blower cams soon. I've got the eddy manifold, ported heads, and a billet 67 mm
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
370 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to know what would happen if I swapped my current cams back for some stock ones, or at least smaller ones actually spec'd for a turbo setup. Mine are 234/230, .550/.500, 115LSA made for a roots blower. I'd love to drop my spool time with my 76mm BB On3 turbo as it's pretty lazy. I'm running around 23lbs usually right now with an Edelbrock manifold.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think he has a trick flow intake manifold

It really doesn't look like his power is lower than the other cams till about 6300-6400 rpms

I'll post what my setup does with stock cams vs my blower cams soon. I've got the eddy manifold, ported heads, and a billet 67 mm
Look foward to seeing your results!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to know what would happen if I swapped my current cams back for some stock ones, or at least smaller ones actually spec'd for a turbo setup. Mine are 234/230, .550/.500, 115LSA made for a roots blower. I'd love to drop my spool time with my 76mm BB On3 turbo as it's pretty lazy. I'm running around 23lbs usually right now with an Edelbrock manifold.
I'd say do it! Also going with a billet wheel turbo you will spool around 1000rpms faster as. Sell those cams and upgrade the turbo!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like Justin said, this was with a Trick flow Track Heat Intake Manifold. I had brought my boost controller and was planning on running a bit more boost. Then I saw the 652ft/lbs of torque and decided to call it quits there. I'm sure with more boost a slightly bigger cam would help ... but my cam was far from ideal for a turbo setup. I doubt I'll upgrade my cams ever though as I can easily up the boost if I want more power (which I don't at the moment) and the driveability is just like stock. It's fantastic!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My car made 572rwhp with 20psi through a C4 with stock cams and then at the same 20psi made 656rwhp with custom cams on the same dyno.
Ported pi heads and ported hardball'r intake.
My hp peaked at 6500rpm.
I wonder why yours drops after peak hp so much?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My car made 572rwhp with 20psi through a C4 with stock cams and then at the same 20psi made 656rwhp with custom cams on the same dyno.
Ported pi heads and ported hardball'r intake.
My hp peaked at 6500rpm.
Nice, everyones setup is different though...you actually had turbo cams, more boost, twin turbos.

That dramatic dip might just be him letting off the gas on the dyno but still recording.

Either way, the stock cams are definitely better off than those big comp cams he had

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Wonder why his same engine setup with a P1sc earlier this year had peak hp at 6500rpm.
What valve springs are in your heads.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Wonder why his same engine setup with a P1sc earlier this year had peak hp at 6500rpm.
What valve springs are in your heads.
Probably because its a centri blower....my vortech setup with a eddy Victor manifold and stock heads and cams wanted to pull forever....I stopped revving it at 6500 for the most part cause it was a stock bottom end but it was gaining power heavily still at 6500

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My hp peaked at 6500rpm.
Yeah, I was surprised at the big cams dyno peaking out so early. Only thing I can think is the cams were such a bad match for the turbo that it affected its peakend too.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Noticed they have the correction factor set at 1.09%.
I think adding another wastegate would really help your setup.
Do you know what valve springs you are running.
Your stage 3 blower cams are almost the same as mmr's stage 2 turbo cams. Yours have a lsa of 114 and mmr stage 2's are 115 and the lift and duration are the same.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts