Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be swapping out my T-56 for a TKO600 and McLeod twin disc clutch. I was just wondering if anyone else has swapped out their T-56 for a 5-speed and if so how much improvement in short times did you see with the steeper 1st gear?
Right now it's just running a pullied '03 Cobra motor and T-56 with 4.10s out back and it has been cutting 1.50 60-fts. I am putting an F1A cog drive setup on it pullied for 30 lbs of boost too so I can't wait to get back to the track.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan to either drop to 3.73s or run 28" tires if I run out of gear in the 1/4 but it has full drag suspension and 11.50x26 M/T bias plies on it so I'm not that worried about traction if that's what you're getting at.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm sorry but this sounds backwards. I mean nothing bad but usually those with a 5 speed kill for the strength and the better cruising gears of the 6 speed. I'm guessing this is more of a track car. GL.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry but this sounds backwards. I mean nothing bad but usually those with a 5 speed kill for the strength and the better cruising gears of the 6 speed. I'm guessing this is more of a track car. GL.
Yes, it's pretty much a track car that also gets driven to some car meets and on weekends. The 5th gear in my TKO600 is the same as 6th in my T-56 so for cruising it will be no different. The main benefits for me of the TKO are the much steeper 1st gear and some reduced weight. It is also a decent amount stronger than the Cobra spec T-56. I had considered getting the T-56 beefed up but I got a killer deal on the TKO, bellhousing and twin disc clutch all brand new that someone had sitting around.

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
You might see a little better 60' with the TKO but I would rather have the T56 myself and spend a little cash getting it upgraded.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might see a little better 60' with the TKO but I would rather have the T56 myself and spend a little cash getting it upgraded.
It's a drag car so just the improvement in 60-fts and the weight reduction is worth it for me. The car has a 10-pt cage, harnesses, street slicks, etc so it's not like I drive it around on the street all that much.

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
Then go with a face plated TKO....... you will hate how a regular syncronized Tremec shifts under throttle at the track.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I love my TKO600 at the track and have no issues shifting with syncros. I have the version with the 2.87 first gear and ran better 60's than my 3550 with the 3.27 1st gear as it ran out to fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts