Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought this 97 Cobra recently. It has a 6 speed trans in it. I am trying to figure out what 6 speed it is, to get specs to choose rear end gears/tire size. Anyhow, the interesting part is that reverse is all the way right and up. Most trans patterns for these put reverse left and up. The shifter body is also square where it bolts down to the trans housing. Any idea of brand/specs?

Any ideas of where too look or help would be great, thanks

Al...

·
Registered
480 Posts
99% of 6-speed-swapped Mustangs will be a T56.

T-56 and TR-6060 both have reverse past the 5/6 gate.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
If it looks like this, it's a 2003-2004 Cobra T56. It's a direct bolt up so it's the most likely candidate.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks...
Any idea if the speedo sensor crosses over to the SN95 body, or not???

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
if the sensor is on the trans, is it 2 wire or 3 wire?

and your car's plug is 2 or 3 wire?

2 wire will be VRS and 3 wire will be hall effect

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I was curious about the factory Cobra T56 ratios. So I looked them up they're 2.66/1.78/1.30/1.00/0.79/0.63

With those ratios I'd be all over 4.30 gears

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You need to get the part number off of the trans. Not all T56's have the same gear ratios or speedo setups. I have an aftermarket T56 for Ford with mechanical speedo (Part number TUET 1259) and it runs a 2.97/2.07/1.43/1.00/.80/.62 ratios.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna get under it in the next day or so and look for a data plate somewhere on it. There is a that says Mercon/Dex that I can see...It has a Dallas Mustang Speedo calibrator inline, wonder if that works or not. Think I might check the gear in the gauge too..
Oh, ya, btw, speedo doesn't work...

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
2 or 3 ??wtf

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has a Dallas mustangs speedo Cal box on it. that looks like a 2 wire setup, not sure if it works or not, can't get any info on how to test it. I have an actual Ford Electrical manual on its way, supposed to be here today.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok... so Saturday final came around. Got in there and looked like the speedo calibrator was wired correct. PO had power pulled from run hit in radio. Of course almost all of those wires are hacked. So I checked the fuse, and Viola, I have a speedometer. Thanks for the knowledge and ideas.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I would have have rewired it to it's own circuit or an unused circuit. But glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
why was the fuse blown?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fuse was blown because...
I removed one of the alarms installed by PO’s. I seem to remember hearing a pop when doing/moving some of the wiring. At that point o had been removing LED strip lighting and crawling around under the dash. While removing alarm(crappy, no remotes) we would remove one connection, try to start, and so on. I thought maybe one of the door lock wires was cut somewhere and didn’t check any fuses till I got the wiring book. Once I had that and started figuring out “everything” that was affected. I found the Lights,radio,mirrors,door lock fuse was blown.
I will wire it to a dedicated circuit as I repair the radio wiring in hopes of bringing it to at least stock.

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
really?

you did all this with the battery still connected?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indy... I see your point, other than trying to start it each time between disconnecting modules, I should have been doing it cold to avoid fuse troubleshooting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts