Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my drag cars. I just went to Pegasus in New Berlin, WI and picked up some Redline oils for the engine, tranny and differential and some Water Wetter for the radiator.

I am not sure I got what I should have though when it comes to the engine oil. I read what it said on the Redline site about the different oils and opted for the fully synthetic Redline 10W30 but am now wondering if I should have gone with the 5W50 that Ford runs in the GT500's and Ford GT's.

Just curious what others are running and why? I want to be able to run it on the street as I drive the car almost daily, but have the protection needed for the track. I believe the 10W30 is perfect for the street but not sure if it is the best option for both street and track. It will never see winter driving so spring, summer and fall weather (50 farenheit or hotter) is all the car will drive in.

Thanks to all who reply.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
I run 15w-50 because I wasn't comfortable with the high-temperature high-shear (HTHS) viscosity of lighter oils.

I used to run Redline almost all the time, but since I can get Mobil1 at Wal-mart and for a lot less money than finding a race shop or having Redline shipped, I've been leaning toward Mobil1. I get a Blackstone oil analysis every oil change and I'm going to see if I can see a difference in levels of various metals between the two.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply MFE, was hoping you would chime in.

I looked today for 15W50 Mobil 1 and didn't find any in my local auto stores. I will check Wal Mart next. I am going to try this Redline and see how it works. Redline seems to be the number one seller at Pegasus so I am sure it works, just not sure I got the right type.

I did get the Redline MTL for the TKO 600 and will be getting the gear oil tomorrow. What are you running in your transmission and differentials? BTW, bought some of that Motul 600 as well. I think it may already be in the car and looks pretty fresh, will have to ask the previous owner. Are you running any thing special for the power steering pump?

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
1) Engine (DART Sportsman 331ci) gets Amsoil Dominator motor oil 10W30 because of the Siamese bores and clearances in engine.

2) Tremec TKO 600: GM Synchromesh Transmission fluid

3) Rear differential and micro-polished and lighten 3.73 gear set: Ford Motorcraft differential fluid 75W90 and Ford Racing or Ford Motorcraft Friction Modifier Additive. BTW, no added HP or performance gained from the micro-polished rear-end gears.

I hope this helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does Michael, are you road racing your car? Just curious as that seems like a pretty 'normal' line of fluids. I am probably overly concerned on all this and over thinking it all. Just want to make SURE I have the best protection for the gear that I am running. It is cheap insurance. Thanks for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
I run GM Synchromesh in the TKO, and I've run Redline 75w90 in the diff, but switched to Mobil1 75w90 last year.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks MFE, that helps a lot. I was thinking I would have to go heavier on the oils but it appears that is not the case.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
It does Michael, are you road racing your car? Just curious as that seems like a pretty 'normal' line of fluids. I am probably overly concerned on all this and over thinking it all.
Road racer, heck no but I wish. First off, my car is a street car. I take it on 700-1000 mile road trips to visit family and friends. I've participated in a few (3) autocross events in the last 3 years but the car and driver (that's me) are not competitive. I've participated in 1/4 drag racing and now I'm looking forward to 1/2 drag racing ( wannaGOFAST - High-Speed Racing - Home) but need to change a few parts to be competitive. The suspension shop (FasTrack Automotive Inc.) that setup my suspension, recommended the fluids for the differential, and engine. They also requested that I replace my brake fluid before my first autocross event 3 years ago and I haven't replaced it since, maybe it's time? But I have the most fun just driving it as hard as I can, whenever I can. Maybe my lineup of fluids seems normal but getting advice from experts in this area may be the best advice I can give you.

I hope that helps
Michael Plummer

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate that Michael. 1/2 mile drag racing sounds very fun. I will look into that as well. Also, getting advice from professionals is what I intend to do, right now, based on what you and MFE have said, I think I am on track with my thought process on these fluids. That makes me feel good. Just want to make sure I do it right.

·
Registered
564 Posts
An oil temp and pressure gauge will go a long way to telling you what weight oil you need. Heavier oil holds more heat- this isn't a "if 10w-30 is good, 20w-50 must be better" deal.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Ross, I have one of those to put on as well. I bought that Moshimito (spelling?) piece but have not had a chance to install it yet. I am not sure it has a provision for a temperature gauge but it does have the thermostat. I will check into the gauge and see if I can find a place to put that probe to make it work.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you're tracking heavily or for extended periods of time, don't be surprised to see the need for an oil cooler. North of 220-230* oil temp you'll probably want to bump up to the next heavier weight than whatever your engine called for originally. Over 250* I'd be adding an oil cooler for sure. The NASCAR boys hardly even look at water temp, only caring to keep it low enough to prevent the pressure relief valve from popping. Oil temps are a different story...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know information. Is there a time when the coolant temperatures would not be indicative of what your oil temp might be? What I mean is this. I have read that oil temps run hotter than the coolant by about 20 or so degrees. So if your coolant temperatures are around 200 to 210, oil should not be much higher....right? I am asking because I have two events next week and am not sure I will have a oil temperature gauge installed by then so I am kind of relying on the water temp and the stock pressure gauge (I know, I know...lol) until I can get a reliable alternative.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not really. Case in point, at an autocross last Sunday my water temps were about 210 sitting in line and my oil temp was 170 (dry sump and a big cooler, takes a long time to heat up). I know certain LS engines are really hard on oil- good water temps and oil near 300*. Can you at least install a real pressure gauge before then?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not really. Case in point, at an autocross last Sunday my water temps were about 210 sitting in line and my oil temp was 170 (dry sump and a big cooler, takes a long time to heat up). I know certain LS engines are really hard on oil- good water temps and oil near 300*. Can you at least install a real pressure gauge before then?
LOL, that made me laugh. I hear you man. I am working on getting it all sorted out.....lol. Thanks Ross, that was funny.

·
Registered
994 Posts
How about brake fluid? I picked up Castrol SRF on the recommendation of some Porsche race guys I know. Good enough for GT3 Cup car, good enough for a beat down fox body.

Also, Pegasus Racing FTW! Love that place. Never actually been. Be like a kid in a candy store. Online shopping is bad enough.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a case of the Reline 10W30, case of the MTL, and a case of the Motul 600....overkill, yeah. But I shouldn't need fluids for a while. Pegasus is about an hour from my house so I thought I would stock up.

Willy, are you going to the SCCA track night next Tuesday at BHF? Or the Northwoods Shelby event that following weekend at BHF?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I bought a case of the Reline 10W30, case of the MTL, and a case of the Motul 600....overkill, yeah. But I shouldn't need fluids for a while. Pegasus is about an hour from my house so I thought I would stock up.

Willy, are you going to the SCCA track night next Tuesday at BHF? Or the Northwoods Shelby event that following weekend at BHF?
Not I. Sadly, all my go-fast parts are strewn around the shop. PHB is sitting in the backseat. T/A is still wrapped in its shipping material. Built axle is sitting on a 55 gallon drum. Disc brakes are sitting where the driver's seat would normally go, and said driver seat is sitting in an empty office.

So, you know. Typical foxbody problems :D

That being said, if you're up and running on 10SEP, Chicagoland Mustang Club hooked up with a driver's group for Autobahn Joliet for the day http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/forums/showthread.php?86550-CMC-Road-Course-Track-Day-Sept-10th

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I use Redline 20w-50. When I go to the track I use Redlines racing series oil 50wt.

Redline power steering pump fluid.

Redline heavy shockproof gear oil which runs the equivalent thickness of a 75w-90

Motul 600 brake fluid

GM Synchromesh in my TKO600.

Definitely want something thicker in there for serious track duty! I would exchange the 10w-30 you bought for the 5w-50 if your going to be tracking your car with that oil. Even WITH an oil cooler. These engines can seriously heat up some oil on a 20-30 minute thrash on the road course..... Even with my HUGE oil cooler I see oil temps around 260-270 and my water temps at 190-200. With no oil cooler on my car or even a small one I have no doubt they would be soaring well over 300.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts