Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use 5th gear in 1/4 mile with a t-5 and 4.10s. A friend says he does sounds wierd i don't.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There isn't any need in using 5th gear unless you're hitting the factory rev limit. And if that's happening it's time to get a tune to get around it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
im usually going through the traps with the 4th gear shift light on... 245/45/17with 4:11's @ 104 mph

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have 4.10's and don't need 5th. If you are on the rev. limiter at the top of 4th, don't go to 5th. 5th is weak, and sometimes when u slam 5th gear you will pop the snap ring off, hence you totally losing 5th gear. Also, when you are sreaming at the top of 4th and slam 5th, its brutal on the syncro due to the fact that you are dropping to a much lower rpm, putting much stress and wear on 5th gear syncro. Your friend is on thin ice banging 5th gear at the dragstrip. hope that helps..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Anybody use 5th gear in 1/4 mile with a t-5 and 4.10s. A friend says he does sounds wierd i don't.
i did one time due to running out of rpm's in 4th.it really slows you down.not only is it awkward trying to speedshift 5th,but it really bogs the engine down slowing you down time wise and mph.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My shift light is set to just below 6K. On a 26" tire, it comes on right before or after the line (108-111 mph).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts