Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering how you like your five speed cars with a turbo? I had a C4 in my car, and now I went to a tko 500. I know I'm not gonna get better 1/4 mile times but looking for more of a fun street car that makes good power! Any input is appreciated...Thanks!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm currently swapping to an auto in mine but so far witha T56, I'm really enjoying especially at low load shifting when you can hear the turbo spool and the BOV flutter....

·
Registered
737 Posts
i love my 5speed. Get a good clutch. That torque is tough on them. I have a centerforce DFX works good. If i could have it to do over i would get a twin disc though. i haven't launched it hard and had it hook up to see what clutch will hold. now it just spins tires. hopefully it will hold if it don't spin.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
If Im Not mistaken an AUTO is the way to go with a turbo....with a stick you loose boost between shifts...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I could not bring myself to do the auto swap either. Just recently sold the stock T5 and picked up a TKO600. I have a used custom clutch from clutch dynamics from the old T5 setup that I can sell if interested. It was pretty bad azz and clutch pedal was lighter than stock!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
my choice:

mostly street car -> manual
mostly track car -> auto

·
Registered
223 Posts
Once you start making big HP it becomes very difficult to time your shifts right. I am still a manual and it's nearly impossible to hit it right. Fun factor though .... soooooo much fun!

*Plus it's fun to let-off and also blow the BOV as you pass that SRT-4!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Once you start making big HP it becomes very difficult to time your shifts right. I am still a manual and it's nearly impossible to hit it right. Fun factor though .... soooooo much fun!

*Plus it's fun to let-off and also blow the BOV as you pass that SRT-4!
The auto's also help the car hook and keep traction. A big stall and a trans brake is a lot of fun too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love having a 5-speed in mine. I have the two step set at 5k and it less then a second I'm able to build almost 20lbs. Rather then sidestep the clutch I let it out in a fairly quick but even rate. The car tends to raise the front end to full flex and squats the rear all the way. The 60' times are usually in the mid 1.4x's. After that it comes down to lifting to shift vs powershifting. (i'm a lift to shift driver)

I have also found that aggressive timing at or close to where the rpms drop after the shift really help with getting the car to spool back up if I took to long to get it done.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If Im Not mistaken an AUTO is the way to go with a turbo....with a stick you loose boost between shifts...

Not with a wot box and no lift shift, makes wot shifting smooth as butter, I highly reccommned one for anyone with a turbo and manual trans.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Not with a wot box and no lift shift, makes wot shifting smooth as butter, I highly reccommned one for anyone with a turbo and manual trans.
Your getting fancy on me...Not alot of people run that stuff...I will race any turbo stick car like mine on the street...Im pretty sure ill beat it...An auto is Plant right foot go....hang on....thats how i see it....Ive been in turbo stick cars on the street and well all they do is spin or have to build boost between shifts...Not mine i hit 14 psi and gone and holds between shifts....I dont loose boost....Not saying what you listed doesnt work but to me alot more to go wrong...or to dial in...An auto is to me simple....I could be worng tho....lol

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Theres plenty to go wrong in a slush box haha, the manual is the simpler trans but more complex for the driver, the auto is the opposite.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Theres plenty to go wrong in a slush box haha, the manual is the simpler trans but more complex for the driver, the auto is the opposite.
Really ? I see more guys saying oh my clutch is slipping..my trans is broke...etc etc etc...My AOD is built To me its not a slush box...lol.. and some guys use C4's or Powerglides...Maybe its me but i will always stay AUTO......Yes for fun factor a stick will bemore fun butdown to the serious part of Why you build a turbo mustang is to go Fast,,,And i think the auto is going to win that hands down everytime..IMO...An auto is like a fully automatic gun Point and shoot....lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
Your getting fancy on me...Not alot of people run that stuff...I will race any turbo stick car like mine on the street...Im pretty sure ill beat it...An auto is Plant right foot go....hang on....thats how i see it....Ive been in turbo stick cars on the street and well all they do is spin or have to build boost between shifts...Not mine i hit 14 psi and gone and holds between shifts....I dont loose boost....Not saying what you listed doesnt work but to me alot more to go wrong...or to dial in...An auto is to me simple....I could be worng tho....lol
Manual transmissions only lose boost between shifts if the shifts are slow. Mine stays in boost as long as the shifts are quick. Although my last transmission was not a fan of those types of shifts. :rofl:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have both a Auto(C4) turboed 4V 03 Cobra and a 5-speed turboed 4V 01 GT you can guess which one is the race car and which one is the street driver. Both are street cars though.
Auto w/transbrake will kill and stick out there.
The stick is just fun to play around with on the street.
Pulled a built T56 from Cobra to go auto and not going back T56!

Sent from my iPhone using my 3rd hand to type *pardon the typos*

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have both a Auto(C4) turboed 4V 03 Cobra and a 5-speed turboed 4V 01 GT you can guess which one is the race car and which one is the street driver. Both are street cars though.
Auto w/transbrake will kill and stick out there.
The stick is just fun to play around with on the street.
Pulled a built T56 from Cobra to go auto and not going back T56!

Sent from my iPhone using my 3rd hand to type *pardon the typos*
Thanks thats what im saying AUTO for the win......Sticks are fun your not beating an Auto IMO....Auto turbo car is just plain wicked.....lol

·
Registered
753 Posts
My buddy Jason's 05 GT with powerhouse turbo at 9psi. 3650 trans and the wotbox 2step and no lift shift. He smokes auto's with more power. The only reason an auto in general is usualy faster all else equal is just driver skill. Auto of course requires none lol. It's a solid bracket car to top it off.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts