Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that at the track an auto is always going to be faster but I want what feels faster on the street.Plus I already have an automatic Turbo car,just not a Mustang.Also I have never been in a 5 speed Turbo car.I have no way to tell if I would like the 5 speed over the Auto with a Turbo on the street.Anybody like the 5 speed Turbo Mustang's better on the street??

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
yep
5spd = fun
auto = fast
a auto is just as brutal as a 5spd on the street with the right setup. when getting around the 500 rwhp mark ist almost a wash.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
yep
5spd = fun
auto = fast
a auto is just as brutal as a 5spd on the street with the right setup. when getting around the 500 rwhp mark ist almost a wash.
No experience with a 5spd turbo car on the street or track but I agree with Cesna - a properly setup auto is killer on the street.

I love my current AOD setup and i'm moving to a PA C4 this Winter - t/brake launches next year :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
NOS5, i see u r a GN guy. i also have a 87 GN with TE-44 turbo. u know GM had a proto type GN years ago they put a manual trans in and it was actually slower. But, 5-speeds are alot of fun on the street. :) and of course they werent mustangs..............

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NOS5, i see u r a GN guy. i also have a 87 GN with TE-44 turbo. u know GM had a proto type GN years ago they put a manual trans in and it was actually slower. But, 5-speeds are alot of fun on the street. :) and of course they werent mustangs..............
Yeah I have a T-Type version and as much as I never liked Automatics the T-Type is really great to drive.Its got CNC ported Race Heads with matching ported Intake and a big front mount intercooler,stock cam.Im only guessing that RWHP is 375-410.I never had it tuned perfectly.I have a TE-44 Turbo on it now.Before I had a larger Turbo and it sucked and felt so much slower.The spool up was terrible.With that TE-44 on the street while doing no burn out it hits so hard at full Boost or when the trans shifts in 2nd gear it feels like I have a 572 cubic inch motor.The problem is that I can't compare what works for a 5.0 V8 which is going to have less lag then a 3.8.I have never been in a Turbo Mustang but I think a 66 or 67mm is all I would need because I just care about street performance.I also think if I get close to 500 Horsepower out of the set up I would feel a whole lot more confident with an Automatic Transmission.I learned from my Turbo Buick that bigger is certainly not always better especially for a 100% street car that may never see the drag strip except for very few occasions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard from previous post from a few month's ago that the Automatic Transmission even with th 3.27 Gear is no where near as good as far as gas mileage with a 5 speed with the same Gear.I don't know if this is true or a myth:confused: I may be looking for a LX Fox body but I want to be positive to go with either an Auto or 5 speed.I was thinking abou a 331 stroker also but not sure because the 302 has plenty of cubes for amazing Turbo Horse Power.I just don't want a Turbo bigger then a 66 or 67mm.

·
Registered
196 Posts
5 speed. They call it the man pedal for a reason.

And it's just more fun. You will lose boost between shifts, but with a properly sized blow off valve and a quick shift it won't slow you down too much. Mine sees full boost less than a second after hitting the gas after a shift.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
yep
5spd = fun
auto = fast

Ditto!!! I just took the tko out of my track car and put in a C4 in quest of lower et's

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I heard from previous post from a few month's ago that the Automatic Transmission even with th 3.27 Gear is no where near as good as far as gas mileage with a 5 speed with the same Gear.I don't know if this is true or a myth:confused: I may be looking for a LX Fox body but I want to be positive to go with either an Auto or 5 speed.I was thinking abou a 331 stroker also but not sure because the 302 has plenty of cubes for amazing Turbo Horse Power.I just don't want a Turbo bigger then a 66 or 67mm.
I can't compare to a 5 speed car but my 306 w/67mm AOD 3.27 gear car gets pretty damn good gas mileage. I haven't checked it exactly but it's better than our Explorer 5spd 4.0

And it runs decent at the track :joy:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I can't compare to a 5 speed car but my 306 w/67mm AOD 3.27 gear car gets pretty damn good gas mileage. I haven't checked it exactly but it's better than our Explorer 5spd 4.0

And it runs decent at the track :joy:
I get on average 24mpg on the freeway.....although I can get more. ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess never been in a Turbo car with a manual transmission is why I started this thread.The one thing I worry about is where the 5 speed gets dangerous at over 500 Horsepower.Having viewed a few clips its easy to see the traction problems of a 5 speed Turbo Stang at or above 500 Horsepower.I think an Auto is fun because I own 1 Auto Turbo car but probably would opt for a T-56 in a Mustang myself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Auto with that much would have the same traction problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's a alot of guy's running over 500+ Horsepower in there street Turbod 5 speed Mustangs.I guess it depends on the driver, but I seen a few video clips of 5 speed Turbo Mustang's and it looked suicidal in a few clips.I myself like 5 speeds, but I am no pro when it comes to shifting.I tried powershifting on 2 T-5's and broke both of them in a month about 7 years ago.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't powershift.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lots of people like 5 spds in their turbo cars, it's just personal preference. Technically, a 5 spd will eat up less hp than an auto, but you tend to fall off boost between shifts. I initially had a g-force 5 spd in my car, but eventually broke it. I switched to a Lentech AOD with full manual shifting, and my car actually feels faster now. The 2800 stall converter makes my turbos spool hard and fast in any gear. If your car is set up right, it just comes down to personal choice. Cheers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I prefer not to replace my transmission every 5th run. :lol:

Did you sell the car in your sig?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When you start going really fast, you break lots of parts with a manual.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts