Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a long shot but here goes as I don't belong to any diesel forums...

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 Cummins. Engine has around 210,000 on it. Runs great, although it did have a rough life (tuned/stacked and beat on by some younger bucks) before I rescued her about 7 years ago. I have done a bunch of work to the truck like lift pump (Airdog 150), injectors, injector pump, steering gear, full front end rebuild, paint job...pretty much name it and it has been done. I currently drive around with the Edge tuner on the mileage setting and only bump it up a bit when I tow the camper.

I am getting some crank case vapors/oil pushing out of the vent tube. I removed the factory little catch bottle that used to reside on the front cover and did the Moparman1971(?) trick with some pvc pipe up over the engine and down near the bellhousing with a tube....let it vent. All was well for a few years but now I am getting some decent oil pushing out, leaving spots wherever I park and when I check today I was down about a quart and a half of oil.

I am currently running Shell Rotella 15w-40 dino oil. This seems to make the situation rear its head the worst. I have run a gallon of Lucas HD oil stabilizer and the rest oil with good results and may go back to that formula next oil change.

Question is....can the seals in the vacuum pump (combo unit with power steering pump) go bad, allowing it to still work, as in make vacuum for the accesories/etc. but also push air into the engine, causing some crank case pressure and the smoke/oil that I am seeing?

Thanks for the help Corral.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may but will rule out a few other possibilities first as it isn't exactly an easy compression test. I would need to source a tester too. I have read quite a bit (I know it's just reading) and my truck doesn't have the same symptoms of worn engines/broken rings/etc.

My cruise quit working about 2 years ago so the blow-by along with no cruise (vacuum actuated) had me searching for a broken vacuum line or a faulty vacuum pump. I couldn't find any lines off or faulty and the heater controls work fine so this led me to ask about the pump.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone...?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, took the battery and tray out along with dropping the wheel well. All looks to be OK with my cruise module. Getting power to the unit and the vacuum line looks to be in good shape - plastic line with rubber connections. I went to test the vacuum lines from the firewall to the end at the pump and found my gauge broken on my vacuum bleeder (looks like it got dropped...go figure). My vacuum pump is working but I am still thinking of doing a rebuild on it as it may be causing my slightly excessive blow by situation and the seal kit is only about $25.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Smoke test all your vacuum lines and connections (if you have a smoke machine) and rebuild your vacuum pump. Great place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered the OEM seal kit to rebuild the vacuum pump. I may throw a new PS pump on while it is apart, kind of makes sense. More to follow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts