Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 gt with gt40x heads tfs track heat intake b cam with 1.7s. stock short block masterpower t70. gonna run 6-10 psi 50# injectors and blow thru. anyone running this setup? what power? im not gonna tune it unless it needs it, i have a wideband. im probably gonna lock the timing. i know many ppl dont get tunes and have great running cars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a 95 gt with gt40x heads tfs track heat intake b cam with 1.7s. stock short block masterpower t70. gonna run 6-10 psi 50# injectors and blow thru. anyone running this setup? what power? im not gonna tune it unless it needs it, i have a wideband. im probably gonna lock the timing. i know many ppl dont get tunes and have great running cars.

Why not set a power goal and build a turbo system to achieve it? Most 50# injector blow thru setups need tuning. Nothing NEEDS tuned unless you want it to run properly and not self destruct.

I'm betting you've not even started on this project and have done very little research. Many people have been there before so read up before you waste a bunch of time, money and parts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have an idea of what power it will make. up to 500whp. but your wrong i have started the build all i have left is oil lines and wastegate, yes i should have done more research.

·
Registered
84 Posts
t70 can make more than that If you push it. Dont push it unless your tuning it. You will need more fuel. Probably best to just get a FPR. If your not going to control your timing then locking it is a good idea. Start with low boost in low gear. Watch your afr. What MAF do you have?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not to be harsh, but if you have no plans on tuning it and just though "hey cool, ill just bolt up a turbo and get great power and not tune it" then you didn't do any research at all other than looking at turbo kits. You will blow head gaskets and perhaps your parts if you do not tune it and you take it into boost. You are on very borrowed time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have felpro perf head gaskets arp bolts, i have a fpr and a walbro 255, might even get an inline pump. and im geting a egt guage, yes that what i plan to do lock the timing and unhook the O2 sensor to keep it in open loop. i have a pmas meter. and i plan to get a moates quarterhorse or pms in do time but my shortblock has 225,000 miles im not gonna worry about tuning on it. i have a 351 built for boost that will be going in, so basically im gonna try to blow the 302 up and have some fun doing it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
been there, done that...

had a very similar set up on motor and it NEEDED to be tuned!! now you are adding boost... hmmmm.... i like to keep my motors longer than a week. dont know about you. but like everyone else has said, you WILL need a tune to make sure things are running properly

sn95 computers are not like the earlier fox bodies. fox computers were more forgiving to mods than the sn95's. the idle will be all over the place with the cam and added fuel.

edit:
didnt read the other post about just wanting to beat it till it blows. : )

if that is the case, then you have an idea of what you are going to do, so just go forth and do it. go to a dyno day and make a full pulls to get an idea of power.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Why blow up a motor before you get a base tune for your built motor.....take a chance at destroying other parts for the sake of fun? Pure Genius?!?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You could go down the street, blow a h/g, have to tear it down, get frustrated, then sell it all or let it sit. That scenario has played out over and over. I don't think most people like the pita that is working on a turbo'd SN95, but maybe that doesn't bother you. I'd recommend getting the Moates and at least a mail order tune now. A wideband as well. That's all stuff you can use on the 351 anyway.

But fwiw, my old 89 gt ran mid 6's at 110 in the 1/8 with base 10 degrees and spout in, fmu, HCI 302, 63mm turbo on 110 octane through a c4. No tuning, no idea what the a/f was. I was lucky, I wouldn't go that route again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have a widband, and iv check 4 different places for a base mail order tune, no one wants to do that.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If it were me, I would have sold the 302 and saved the fabrication time. Your kit that fits a 302 will need to be modified to fit a 351.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i didnt get the 351 untill after the hotside was done... but i also made the hotside in a few hours.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so heres an update got it done it starts and idles way rich like 11-11.5, it also idle surges, i have tried clocking the maf and it doesnt seem to help also i have lowered my fuel pressure down to 35 psi, i havent tried lower then that. tps is set at .97. timing is still at 10 with the spout in(have not driven it yet) im going to lock it. any tricks i can try to help it idle better? also how much timing does the pcm add on these cars?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts