Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm busy building a 302 motor for my project car The motor is from a 1989 F-150. I'm trying to figure out how to get more ptv clearance with my gt40p heads.
The block had e7te heads on it before I got to gt40p.

Here's the parts I have for the build:

Gt40p heads
Trickflow valve springs
1.6 roller rockers
Stock pushrods from e7te heads
Stock cam
Stock roller lifters

That's the top end of the motor. The pistons are what I'm concerned about. I measured with clay and came up too close. I have stock notched pistons from a 66 289 that are in decent shape just laying around. Will those work I'm my 302 motor??

Here's a pic of both pistons:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I am going from efi to carburetor on the engine. I got an edelbrock intake 2121 and a 600 cfm edelbrock carburetor.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
You shouldn't have PTV issues with that set up. Did you change the timing chain? Have you degreed the cam?

The 289 pistons won't work with a 302 crank. Not without significant parts shuffling and balancing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't degreed the cam. I've got the new timing chain ready to install. I still have the old timing chain on the motor. I have both marks on the chain gears lined up to top dead center.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
mm? You in Canada or overseas? No matter.

That's 0.109". If you are confident that accurate and you want to maintain .120" (3.05mm) the simplest path is to use thicker head gaskets. Look for head gaskets that are .011"-.015" thicker than the gaskets your are checking with. You may need longer push rods or to shim the rockers accordingly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information guys. I really appreciate it! I've got a couple more questions.

The water pumps I know some have a reverse rotation. I have a 1966 289 timing cover which has the port for a mechanical fuel pump . Should I get a water pump for the 66 289?
The car is a v-belt which I'd like to keep. I don't want to spend the money converting to a serpentine belt if I don't have to.

Will the 1966 289 water pump work on my 1989 302?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I compared the 289 and 302 water pumps. The 302 water pump won't work because the lower radiator hose port is on the wrong side and won't work with my radiator.

·
Vendor
12,104 Posts
Let me clarify a few things. Obviously if you use a mechanical fuel pump you want the water pump hose to be on the passenger side. Also if you are using a water pump that is passenger side, you need to use a driver's side timing pointer. Which may cause an issue with the balancer since the mass majority of balancers are either 10 or 11 o'clock timing Mark's which wont do you any good if you need to use a driver's side timing pointer at 2 o'clock.

From a pure fitment stand point, 289-302-351w block will accept any timing cover and pump combination. These blocks never changed from the beginning to the end. It's more a packaging situation for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alrighty I've been working on the engine this week and I've almost got it back together. Thanks for all the info on this. I'm looking for some odds and ends now.
I'm dropping this engine in a 66 Ford Galaxie 500.

I've been looking at thermostats, I found some edelbrock thermostats at the parts store one is 160° and the other is 180°
I want to keep the motor cool. My dad gave me a fan with 6 blades.
I'm thinking I might need a new radiator with more rows.

The car has a c4 I need to find a 50oz flywheel for the motor and one that'll work with that transmission.
Later I'd like to do a t5 conversion, but not now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts