Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help,

I just put new kyb struts and shocks plus an energy polyurethane bushing kit on a 98 mustang gt convertible. The mustang looks like I put a three inch lift kit on this car. Talk about fender wheel gap. What did I do wrong? I checked to make sure the springs are in the perches and everything is okay. I am at a loss as to why the car sits higher now than when the stock struts and shocks were on the car. I have thought about lowering springs, but I even question if it would really lower the car. This car is outrageously high. Help

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
You tightened down the control arms when they were still at full droop, and the KYB's haven't lost their gas charge yet. Give 'em a couple weeks LOL

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Arent you supposed to manually extend and contract the shocks before installing the prevent this? (flipping the shock over upside down to contract)

·
Registered
144 Posts
What bushings did you replace? If you replaced the control arm bushings, I dont think it matters if it was tightened down at full droop or not if the new bushings were the floating type.
I also dont think a low pressure twintube shock absorber is going to provide that much of a spring rate to lift your car up significantly, as they only contain 50-100 psi gas pressure.
If you replaced the old spring isolators, that could be a significant factor in increasing the ride height.

Arent you supposed to manually extend and contract the shocks before installing the prevent this? (flipping the shock over upside down to contract)
I think this is required on twintube shocks to purge all the gas from the piston assembly that might have been trapped in it. Twin tubes are an emulsion type of shock absorber and gas and oil is not seperated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts