Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing my 90LX from 4cyl front brakes to larger V8 sized spindles and brakes. No not SN-95 style spindles, still Foxbody style. I know that the struts are 1/4 in wider and need shims or spacers to accommodate to narrower mount on the spindle. I got from my local Fastenal 1/4 in thick washers to use for just this purpose. My question is in placing the washer between the strut and the spindle, should I put the washers towards the front of the car, towards the rear of the car, would it even matter, or toss em in the woods and get thinner washers and start over?? I'm not sure if this will have any effect on alignment or not.. that's a lil beyond my scope of support...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon taking a good look at the front suspension, I think I may have solved my own question.. if I use 1/4 in washers I'll have to use em on the back side away from the rotors, I think if I use em on the rotor side it's gnna put the bottom bolt too close to the rotors making possible interference. But I still don't know if this will effect my alignment changing the position of how the strut bolts to the spindle... I know there are a lot of alignment gurus out there, anyone got $0.02 worth to drop in???

·
Registered
996 Posts
Putting them towards the front will give it more caster i believe but i don't think the difference would be noticeable on a street car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okees! Thanks for the reply! As long as it's not gnna affect it drastically or start ripping up tires I think I can live with that! Once again thanks for the reply!!

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I'm late but for future readers, I used Monroe Formula GP struts on my 86. These struts came with spacers to be used on 87 and later spindles. I eventually swapped to the 87 v8 spindle for the bigger 11" brake so I had to use the spacers (two per side) on the later spindle. I don't recall the spacer dimensions but apparently Monroe believed the strut needed to be centered on the spindle.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm late but for future readers, I used Monroe Formula GP struts on my 86. These struts came with spacers to be used on 87 and later spindles. I eventually swapped to the 87 v8 spindle for the bigger 11" brake so I had to use the spacers (two per side) on the later spindle. I don't recall the spacer dimensions but apparently Monroe believed the strut needed to be centered on the spindle.
Centering it would set it at stock caster. You can add our remove a slight amount of caster by moving the spacers. It all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem I have is tho, I'm gnna still be using the struts I have on it for the meantime till I can replace them, so I don't have the spacers that come w the struts. That's why I'm looking for a temporary solution by using the washers... As long as it doesn't throw too much caster in the front wheels I think I'll be ok..

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
Problem I have is tho, I'm gnna still be using the struts I have on it for the meantime till I can replace them, so I don't have the spacers that come w the struts. That's why I'm looking for a temporary solution by using the washers... As long as it doesn't throw too much caster in the front wheels I think I'll be ok..
Fox Mustangs need all the caster they can get if handling is the purpose. The small amount of caster the spacers provide is pretty insignificant. The MM K-member moves the axle centerline forward .75" and when added to the forward offset a-arms the centerline is moved 1.5" forward. This outcome is way greater than a mere 1/16" washer can provide. Don't sweat it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts