Explorer intake lightly ported
75mm bbk throttle body
F-303 cam
60# injectors
255 lph fuel pump
Electric fans
Stock rebuilt bottom end
3:73 gears
On3 accessory kit includes injectors, mass air flow, fuel pump, oil filter relocation kit

On3 70mm turbo 12#s of boost

·
Registered
299 Posts
with 12lbs of boost yes. but so is a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Are the heads aluminum or iron? A good set of gaskets and some head studs will cure that problem. You could definelty make 450 with that combo and a turbo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The weight of the iron heads will help with the seal but with 12lbs of boost Id definetly get a good set of head studs instead of headbolts.

Im running RHS aluminum heads on my SC 347 and with 8lbs of boost it was moving the heads around and blowing gaskets with head bolts, but my compression ratio is close to 10.5:1. ARP head studs solved that problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The weight of the iron heads will help with the seal but with 12lbs of boost Id definetly get a good set of head studs instead of headbolts.

Im running RHS aluminum heads on my SC 347 and with 8lbs of boost it was moving the heads around and blowing gaskets with head bolts, but my compression ratio is close to 10.5:1. ARP head studs solved that problem.
I'll get some studs then to make sure I'll keep gaskets

·
Registered
36 Posts
The weight of the heads have nothing to do with gasket sealing abilities. The factory iron heads have thinner decks compared to most aftermarket stuff out there. Head studs will definately help to retain gaskets. A decent set of aluminum heads would be a step up. I personally ran 10.2.1 compression and 14 lbs of boost on my turbo car. I used victor jr cylinder heads and head studs and had no gasket issues. That set up will make over 450 depending upon how much boost you choose to run!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The weight of the heads have nothing to do with gasket sealing abilities. The factory iron heads have thinner decks compared to most aftermarket stuff out there. Head studs will definately help to retain gaskets. A decent set of aluminum heads would be a step up. I personally ran 10.2.1 compression and 14 lbs of boost on my turbo car. I used victor jr cylinder heads and head studs and had no gasket issues. That set up will make over 450 depending upon how much boost you choose to run!
A set of aluminum heads is definitely the way to go, for several reasons. The increased port sizes with the aluminum heads will allow 450 hp (or more) at a LOWER boost level (easier on gasket seal). The aluminum heads also dissipate heat better, which will lessen the chance of destructive detonation. Thirdly the thicker decks and larger valve sizes will greatly increase potential power output. IMHO

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes you will make that easily.....Do yourself a favor...buy some arp head studs and good gaskets.....Cometics MLS and a good tune. I have ran several passes at 15LBS....Gaskets still holding. As me how I know...I learned the hard way buying 4 sets of gaskets. 4th set being the good stuff......

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you will make that easily.....Do yourself a favor...buy some arp head studs and good gaskets.....Cometics MLS and a good tune. I have ran several passes at 15LBS....Gaskets still holding. As me how I know...I learned the hard way buying 4 sets of gaskets. 4th set being the good stuff......
Lol i bet it sucked geting 4 different kind of gaskets, I see u have the on3 kit how do u like and how long have u had it or the miles u've put on it, how does it hold up, and did u ever put it on a dyno, if so what did it make and sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
295 Posts
About 4500 miles on it so far....I drive it a lot.....I have never put it on the dyno...Only went to the track once [email protected] foot breaking and spinning like crazy. 60ft was only 1.77.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts